College and gaming laptop

webbed

Weaksauce
Hi. I'm getting a laptop for graduation so I need to pick one soon. I'm going to be taking it with me to college. I want to get one thats going to be powerful enough to play games well. 15in seems to be a good size . I was looking at getting Asus M51sn. It seems to be one of the more powerful ones that has a 15in screen. Is it a good choice or is there something better that I haven't seen?

I got a pretty good gaming laptop for college and then ended up not using it for gaming at all.

I would much rather have bought a cheaper end version of my current laptop, I really would've. The only time I ever 'game' on it is when I'm extremely bored or at home with nothing to do. If I'm in the dorms, I have no time for pc gaming.

I would recommend a lite and portable laptop. Forget games in college. There is a lot to do and well the ladies are abundant. It is going to come in handy when your roommate or dorm or wherever is being annoying and loud and you need to study somewhere else.

gonna have to agree with what was said above. pick up an eeepc 900 or something that you can type papers on. it can play some games but none of the new stuff. makes a great emulator machine or CS 1.6, WC3, Q3 machine. :)

That's just silly. Gaming is a hobby like any other...I had plenty of time for it in college, and my fiancee (who I was dating IN college) is a gamer as well. She posts here from time to time.

That said, look at your needs first. "Gaming" laptops are expensive and not very portable. They're getting better, but it might help if you get something cheap'n'light, and a midrange gaming desktop.

A budget might be helpful if you really want a laptop, though. I can understand the logic of wanting something semi-portable for moving between semesters and the like, but a "real" gaming laptop may be less luggable than you think. Some of the 8600 based lappies are pretty portable, but the perfomance might not be what you expect.

I agree. Plenty of time to game. I would get something thats a bit more durable. Look at the HP 8510p. Very nice notebook which has a HD 2600 using GDDR3. Base model can be had for around 1200$ This includes a very nice WSXGA+ screen.

I agree. Plenty of time to game. I would get something thats a bit more durable. Look at the HP 8510p. Very nice notebook which has a HD 2600 using GDDR3. Base model can be had for around 1200$ This includes a very nice WSXGA+ screen.

guess some peoples priorities are different. :confused: meh

well maybe not priorities. i know when i play games, the time goes by way too fast and before i know it, my study/homework time has disappeared.

depends what school you go to and what you major in. If you want to study premed especially, you will have no time for gaming.

Performance wise I'm not expecting something that is going to replace my computer now. I dont need a "gaming laptop", just something that can play games decently when I have spare time. How does the hd2600 compare to 8600 and 9500? I dont really have a budget but nothing excesive.

I highly recommend a low end, portable laptop and a midrange desktop combo instead of a fancier laptop that's 15" or more.

What games are you looking to play?

An 8600 level card will be decent for most midrange games, going to an 8400 might hurt a bit.

Also, it just gets me when people dictate to others what they should or shouldn't do. I got an engineering degree and managed my time well enough to be able to game. I had plenty of time to spend with friends and my lady as well.

The recipe is always time management, and if anyone wants to spend their free time gaming, it's not on us to tell him if he should or shouldn't.

Edit: just looked at your rig. With a gaming rig like that, I'd honestly just go for something basic. Even integrated video might do ya. An Eee sounds like a great match for your needs.

Back