Coleco Pulls Name From The Chameleon Console

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though all the drama surrounding the fake "prototypes" consoles used by Retro VGS has finally come to an end now that Coleco has decided to pull its name from the project. You'll remember that last week, Coleco gave these guys a week to produce a working unit and now that week is up (here). Here's the statement from the company's Facebook page:

The Update that you were all anxiously awaiting: Retro VGS has decided that the work that they have created is not sufficient to demonstrate at this time. Consequently, we can no longer proceed with the project and the Chameleon project will be terminated. This separation is amicable. We wish them luck in the future. - We thank the gaming community for their continued support, input, vigilance and trust.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of these Retro VGS jokers.

Its the updated Phantom Console 2.0...aaaaannnd were done.

It's worse. The Phantom was a scam, but at least they had hardware that people could play. It only played flash games, sure, but it wasn't a SNES mobo stuffed into an Atari Jaguar or an off-the-shelf capture card stuffed into one.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of these Retro VGS jokers.
Of course not, they'll be back.

I do find Coleco's legalese written message to be funny. Amicable, wish them well? lol, probably pissed off that these people wasted their time and dragged their brand name through the mud over it. But of course they went with the "we're just done with this crap and don't want some legal problem" reply, which is understandable.

Surprising no one. Not even a company that exists solely to license it's name wants to be associated with the Retro VGS people.

Back