Coldfusion thoughts?

It sounds cool :)
Interviewer> So what do you do then?
CF Programmer> I do Cold Fusion for a living!

I had considered learning it, but as I recall its not free and seeing as I have no money I went for PHP instead. Now I've got a fair level of understanding & knowlege in PHP I would say theres no additional benefits (at least for my uses) of ColdFusion over PHP.

down with coldfusion

Actually I honestly cant say cause i've always programmed in PHP, but from what I understand its a little slow compared to PHP and ASP. I remember Anandtech had an article about their move from ColdFusion to ASP and they were able to double throughput.

Here's my 2 cents. I started out with Coldfusion, moved to ASP, now develop in .net. I've also picked up PHP along the way. Coldfusion is great for rapid development, and has great built in functionality. The community is tightly knit. Paired up with Fusebox you can produce some neat code. It does have it's problems such as speed and limited adoption in the industry. It's hard to find gigs and the software is expensive. It pays for itself on larger projects, but for small sites it makes no sense. Great example of Coldfusion paired up with Fusebox is MySpace. Being able to run the server on every possible OS is a definite plus. If this fits your purpose, CF is for you. Don't listen to people saying "CF is for noobs, ____ language is best." Pick the right tool for the job.Evaluate the tool, the dev license is free (single IP/localhost) and the language is easy.

I started out with .ASP classic, then moved to ColdFusion a couple of years ago, now I'm on .net, but only because I switched jobs.

I was skeptical at first, but after time, I learned to love it. People who complain about CF running slowly are probably just don't know what they are doing. CF does a great job at allowing rapid development, but that also means you can get away with writing a lot of really crappy code that performs horribly. If you take the time to understand how your code works, and what CF is actually doing, you can really tighten things up. If you're not willing to do that, CF probably isn't for you.

The market for CF jobs probably is a little bit tighter, because the server software is so expensive. It's free to learn though. The developers license is a free download. The free online documentation is awesome. I bought 2 CF books, and took both of them back to the store, because they weren't as detailed as what I could already get online.

mostly just getting into programming in general

I work in web marketing

Right now i'm just learning the ultra basics .. html, xhtml, css, etc...

I really like to hear people talk in general terms since I haven't been around for long.

like this:

coldfusion is a programming language like any other .. C++, php, perl, etc...

coldfusion pros are fast development, easy learning, lots of learning support,

coldfusion is more legacy than asp and .net

some believe coldfusion to create slow code

stuff like that .. bec i don't know it.

you could go on and on about everythign ... sql, php, pearl, apache, linux, unix, java/j2ee, flash, anything adobe, etc.. etc.

p.s. hope you don't mind me blowing the font up a bit .. i run my monitor res high so it helps me see.

malicious said:

p.s. hope you don't mind me blowing the font up a bit .. i run my monitor res high so it helps me see.
Try holding down control and using your scroll-wheel to adjust the font size next time ;)

CF is not really a programming language. It's a scripting language. CF 7 does allow you to compile your CF code into Java for runtime and sourceless distribution, and can wrap itself pretty tightly with Java and J2EE servers. I have to admit, I don't know much about J2EE though.

I wouldn't really call CF legacy either. CF 7 is barely a year old...

I've done some ASP, ColdFusion, and PHP, never done any Java Server Pages though. My favorite has to be ASP.NET 2.0 with Visual Web Developer. I use Visual Studio 2005 though, but Visual Web Developer is free and has its own built in web server. It makes making a dynamic website as easy as writing a VB program. It supports both VB.NET and C# for code behind pages. It is very visual and logical for me

Coldfusion just seems kind of outdated and proprietary. I think its more designed around multimedia than like the more data driven ASP.NET

But that is just my opinion. I say you need to experiment with other languages buy a book on each, and return the ones you don't like. That is how I settled on what I like.

Hard to say. I currently develop in both ColdFusion and ASP, and we're going to take the move to ASP (and .NET) because ColdFusion can't handle a large amount of websites like we do here and would choke several times a day (yes, with optimized code).

With Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia, it's hard to say what will happen to ColdFusion. It may just be phased out altogether... :eek:

I just got macromedia studio MX 04 to learn web dev.

No to thread jack but are you saying that it wouldn't be smart to spend a tremendous amount of time learning CF.

I mean i'm a TOTAL newb so i have to learn dreamweaver, flash, freehand, fireworks, etc...

secondary question: I also have photoshop 9 .. but fireworks seems to be integrated with studio mx .. does it matter that I learn fireworks instead of photoshop 9?

Photoshop 9 meaning CS2??

Fireworks is more geared for webgraphics than Photoshop which is a photoediting tool. Both do web graphics and it depends. Both programs are going to compress your files into either jpegs or gifs or png's now thats another battle on which to use.

Pick which ever one you feel most comfortable with. Not saying that you can't use both, the slices always seemed easier in Fireworks but I haven't used it in a while. Freehand relates more closely to Photoshop I think.

Picking a graphics program is just like picking a programming language you have to find one that suits your needs and fits your style of work.

Some of this will probably change very soon since Adobe bought Macromedia. Probably to fix their lagging GoLive product. I'd say soon you'll see a new web graphics suite

Javi said:
Hard to say. I currently develop in both ColdFusion and ASP, and we're going to take the move to ASP (and .NET) because ColdFusion can't handle a large amount of websites like we do here and would choke several times a day (yes, with optimized code).

With Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia, it's hard to say what will happen to ColdFusion. It may just be phased out altogether... :eek:

Just curious, what kind of volume are you talking about? Can you provide links?

Javi said:

People worried about that when Allaire got bought by Macromedia. CF got better instead of being phased out. Adobe/Macromedia cannot afford to pull a move like that, it's just common sense.

Back