Cold Temps and LCD shipping

GonzoP

2[H]4U
Little bit of a different question here. Tried to search and google for this to no avail.

So I'm finally pulling the trigger on a new widescreen LCD [upgrading from the old 4:3 17"]. My question/concern is I live half way up a mountain. Every night this week the overnight lows have been around 20ºF with day time highs near 35ºF. I know from experience my house is at the end of the UPS route. So should I have any concern ordering an LCD from the egg and having it sitting in a warehouse or more specifically sitting in the back of the brown van all day if the temps are near freezing? Any possible damage to the screen from hours of sub freezing temps?

I'd imagine that warehouses and trucks are heated ... I don't think it'll be just sitting out in the cold.

They unload the trucks every night back into the warehouse, and then reload them for delivery the next day. If you use UPS, I know where I live, they have people working there overnight so the place must be heated (I'm near Detroit, so it gets that cold or worse here).

I would contact your local UPS depot and find out their practice. I know at the one in Ottawa (cold as balls up here, yes) they store everything on the trucks at night after the warehouse hours are over. Not surprisingly all of their staff (delivery included) are idiots... must be something in the air.

So basically if they store it in the warehouses its heated and its fine. But if its on the truck, prolonged exposure to the cold is something I should be concerned about?

I wouldn't worry about it. When it arrives, let it warm up to room temp before turning it on if it feels really cold. I've had LCDs, Plasmas, and CRTs be ice cold upon arrival and they all worked.

I wouldn't worry about it. When it arrives, let it warm up to room temp before turning it on if it feels really cold. I've had LCDs, Plasmas, and CRTs be ice cold upon arrival and they all worked.

okie dokie. First time ordering a display as opposed to picking it up in a store.

okie dokie. First time ordering a display as opposed to picking it up in a store.

I don't imagine the way they ship displays to stores varies significantly vs. how they ship to houses. You should be alright.

This is something the manufacturers should already be taking into account, or at least it makes sense they do that
wink.gif

Just unpack the monitor and let it warm up for a couple of hours to make sure any condensation has evaporated before plugging it in and turning on for the first time and you will be fine.

I have had to do this before and had no problems.

OK guys thanks for the responses. It shipped from the egg Friday but won't be here till wednesday

Back