Cold-Dell Coupons might be drying up...

wotblake

Weaksauce
Not sure if this is the right area or not, but I know you all would be interested.

Dell stock was down 10% today after 1st quarter earnings fell short due to "overly aggressive pricing." That should read...they were selling shit too cheap.

Here is part of the story from The Wall street Journal.

NEWS AT A GLANCE

Dell loses ground

Dell Inc. shares tumbled this morning after the computer maker warned that its first quarter earnings fell short of its forecast. Dell has been offering discounts of up to 35 percent on some PCs over $999, hoping to win back customers who have defected to Hewlett-Packard and other competitors. "They've been losing customers over service and support issues," said Moors & Cabot analyst Cindy Shaw, "and now they are having to spend to get those customers back." (Bloomberg.com) Dell's share of the U.S. PC market fell in the first quarter to 29.8 percent from 32 percent a year ago.

Expect alot more deals, they are trying to push their inventory out.

To offset loss in sales.

amd ati FO SHO said:
Expect alot more deals, they are trying to push their inventory out.

To offset loss in sales.

You can't offset the loss in such a way, as you can see they have been trying to do just that and it caught up with them.

Basically their only win now is to win customers back by providing quality and good service (aka Local support, not Sajeed Mojahneedi pretending to be Mike Meyers.).

Ockie said:
You can't offset the loss in such a way, as you can see they have been trying to do just that and it caught up with them.

Basically their only win now is to win customers back by providing quality and good service (aka Local support, not Sajeed Mojahneedi pretending to be Mike Meyers.).

QFT.

Or could it be that people are returning the first 5 LCD screens they get on dell's dime because there was 1 bad pixel or "backlight bleeding" ?

Derfel said:
Or could it be that people are returning the first 5 LCD screens they get on dell's dime because there was 1 bad pixel or "backlight bleeding" ?

Maybe Dell should stop sending out defective monitors.

I bought a 2001fp, it was brilliant. It was so good in fact I ordered a second one. The second one was dim as all get out, the color was off, and there was some backlight bleeding. Great, spend 30 minutes on the phone convincing them I'm not a moron only to recieve the replacement monitor with chips in the plastic and a worse picture than the one it was replacing. On top of that they supplied me with no way to ship back the first defective monitor. So I just spent all afternoon on the phone with various people who would "transfer" me (disconnect me) or who were named "Mike" and had the technical competence of a dead possum. Maybe it will work out that somehow they still turn a profit on me after sending me two defective monitors in a row (if the new one isn't defective as well) but maybe, just maybe, they should've spent a little more time and money on quality control and training their tech support people. All the monitors they sent me and the time on the phone to tech support were not free to Dell.

^^^ ALL lcd makers have policies - Sony wont replace an LCD unless it has something like 4 off pixels. or like 8 grey pixels, Viewsonic has something like has to have more then 4 dead pixels before they will RMA it for you et cetera.

I think LG has gone with a 0 pixel policy now.

Other companies have similiar policies DELL has i would say the BEST retun policy for LCD's.

MrGuvernment said:
^^^ ALL lcd makers have policies - Sony wont replace an LCD unless it has something like 4 off pixels. or like 8 grey pixels, Viewsonic has something like has to have more then 4 dead pixels before they will RMA it for you et cetera.

I think LG has gone with a 0 pixel policy now.

Other companies have similiar policies DELL has i would say the BEST retun policy for LCD's.

I wasn't implying Dell's return policy was bad at all (I quite agree that it is probably the best) and I don't know how you interpreted what I said to mean that. The previous poster implied that Dell's problems stemmed from people returning their LCDs multiple times to acquire a "perfect" panel. All I was doing was providing anecdotal evidence that one may have to return an LCD to Dell multiple times to acquire a decent panel to begin with. What I was implying was that Dell's troubles stem from the quality of their product and service, not their return policy. What I mean is that as great as Dell's return policy is, I would rather never have to use it in the first place and that if I do I don't want to talk to "Mike" for 3 hours because "Mike" doesn't understand english very well. I think other people would agree with me on that point but I may be wrong.

I was just playing the devils advocate. I think dell is starting to fall apart in all aspects of the game. If the 2407 is any indication, quality has gone completely out the window.

"overly aggressive pricing."
I thought Dell had been offering less discounts recently. Haven't they lost market share because of that? I thought their problem was they weren't having enough sales, and weren't increasing their market share like they use to.

BladeVenom said:
I thought Dell had been offering less discounts recently. Haven't they lost market share because of that? I thought their problem was they weren't having enough sales, and weren't increasing their market share like they use to.

only way to increase market share now is tostart offering AMD based PC's.

Ockie said:

I too am frustrated with Dell's, "over sea" tech support. I spent 30 minutes just spelling out my email address to "Roger Smith."

the title to this thread should read, "the wall street journal has no clue what the helll they're talking about" people are defecting to hp, etc because dell does not sell the less expensive and better performing amd chips.
sure their tech support and QC is deplorable at the moment but its par for the course in their business. I don't see anywhere that they are selling their computers at a loss so discounting is a vaild way to increase market share.

You folks do know that if you buy through Dell Small Business you get US Support People Right..

HP's tech support is also in Bangalore and would have to improve to be called deplorable. I don't know why people are jumping brands, but it certainly is NOT for improved tech support.

TheBluePill said:
You folks do know that if you buy through Dell Small Business you get US Support People Right..

That's not true; it used to be a few years ago, but the times I've called small business support in the past year it's been a non-native speaker of english.

I might be a minority in this, but each time I've had to call Dell and speak to "Mike", they've always been very pleasant and efficient (and understood english perfectly).

Runengun said:
I wasn't implying Dell's return policy was bad at all (I quite agree that it is probably the best) and I don't know how you interpreted what I said to mean that. The previous poster implied that Dell's problems stemmed from people returning their LCDs multiple times to acquire a "perfect" panel. All I was doing was providing anecdotal evidence that one may have to return an LCD to Dell multiple times to acquire a decent panel to begin with. What I was implying was that Dell's troubles stem from the quality of their product and service, not their return policy. What I mean is that as great as Dell's return policy is, I would rather never have to use it in the first place and that if I do I don't want to talk to "Mike" for 3 hours because "Mike" doesn't understand english very well. I think other people would agree with me on that point but I may be wrong.

My apologies. I also read around here ithink that dell will not ship you a new monitor or part ever on a RMA, you will always be sent a refurbished one, and this is not only for LCD"s

i ordered a new mobo for an Inspiron 9100 laptop - $503!!!!! never once was itold , as it turns out, that it would be a "refurbished" motherboard - for $503! you better give me a new one.

I know dell often does this for "home" users and saves their "new" inventory for "buisness" accounts and buisness warrentys.

MrGuvernment said:
i ordered a new mobo for an Inspiron 9100 laptop - $503!!!!! never once was itold , as it turns out, that it would be a "refurbished" motherboard - for $503! you better give me a new one.

2 things about refurbs.

1. Common for every vendor. Do you really think all of the parts that dell sends out are really refurbs? No they just mark all of them as refurb so people can't bitch about everything not being brand new. This way they can say that some parts may be new and some may not be.

2. Depending on how old your 9100 is and since they don't make it anymore you may not be able to get a "new" board for it anymore. If you order a logic board from sony, hp, etc it can be a refurb part as well. Yea I know 500 bucks seems like a lot for a refurb part but you will have a hard time finding one that is new.

Back