Coil whine.. galaxy gtx 670 gc

Zarich

Limp Gawd
I was running 3dmark11 when at the end I heard this high pitched noise.. I couldn't figure it out.. then I run Windows experience index and I got the noise again.. its is very high pitched. I looked it up and apparently this is coil whine.
Is this something I need to send back to Amazon as defective? I am only 5 days before my 30 day return period is up.

If it annoys you send it back. Otherwise it will continue to perform just fine.

I have the same problem with my Evga 670 but since I had the fan cranked while doing intense 3d stuff I didn't notice it until last week when I put a waterblock on it. It only happens to me when folding though so it seems I have it better than some that get it during most 3d apps. As said, it should be rma worthy.

I wonder what my chances are of swapping and not getting one with this issue. Because it is a glass breaking pitch... not very loud, but oh man.. the pitch.

More info.
The coil whine has no rhyme or reason. It comes when the card is under or it can come when I alt tab out of a game, or when I am logging out.. it came when I was checking my email after playing.
I can also change the pitch of the whine if I slightly shift the card from the shroud.

So.. I talked to Galaxy Tech support. They don't seem to have a clue as to what coil whine is. But they said the card should not be making any whistle noises at all.
I am on the fence for sending it back. It isn't loud, but it is high pitched.
My fear is I get a worse card. Or less boosty.. mine boosts to 1175.

I've had 7 different GTX 670's now and they have all had some kind of coil whine (I don't think I've ever had a GPU that didn't make strange noises in WEI). My 660's do it a little bit in 3Dmark11 as well.

If it annoys you a lot, RMA it and hope for a better one.

Right now it is sitting at desktop.. for some reason the card is at 1006 and acting like it has gpu load, but it does not.. and I have the high pitched whistle... it wouldn't be bad if I weren't sensitive to high pitched noises.

No.. opened the case. I can isolate the noise to the back of the card near the pcie connectors.
I can even change the pitch by shifting the card.

K.. I tried another card.. no whine.. though the other card also draws less power.
However, this whine does not follow the normal pattern of whines I read about.
It has nothing to do with High FPS. I can go into a game with 1500 fps and I don't get whine.
But firefox will give it to me.. because as I said above it happens when the things jumps to 1006...
In WEI.. the worst whine I get is when it is doing disk and memory assessments.. not gpu assessment and yet the gpu will still be sitting at 1006.

Okay.. I wanted to add this. I just played CS:go.. fps around 250. I enabled Vsync down to 60 and it started giving me the whine noise.
I am pretty lost. I am thinking I will return it and just exchange for another. So far disappointed.. Hate having to return cards due to odd defects. Should I live with it?

Last edited:
Okay.. I sent it back in.. Not sure if I made the right decision, but by email the galaxy guy said to get it swapped. When I called the guy said it shouldn't be making any noise, but to send a ticket in. I figured since I am in my 30 days I will just get it swapped.

Back