Coffee Lake’s Motherboard Compatibility Hints at Intel Releasing 8-Core CPUs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The real reason Intel doesn't allow Coffee Lake to work in Z270 motherboards could have to do with future CPU releases: Andrew Wu, product manager for Republic of Gamers (ROG) motherboards at Asus, believes that while current 6-core Coffee Lake processors could work in Z270 motherboards if Intel allowed it, "It's possible that these are in preparation for the high-core count processors."

In other words, while Z270 motherboards might be able to handle the jump to 6-core, things could get tricky when and if Intel introduces 8-core SKUs. If that is the case, then Intel erred on the side of caution by restricting Coffee Lake on Z270 motherboards altogether, rather than supporting Coffee Lake up to 6 cores, and requiring Z370 for 8-core CPUs. Of course, this is all speculation at the moment. However, with AMD pushing out 8-core CPUs to the mainstream market with Ryzen, it wouldn't surprise us if Intel followed suit in the not-too-distant future.

And once the lemmings buy only intel, amd dies, they will price those 8 cores back to the stratosphere and only the rich people will be able to buy them.

And once the lemmings buy only intel, amd dies, they will price those 8 cores back to the stratosphere and only the rich people will be able to buy them.
It's amazing how Intel has been at 4c for seams like 10 years then amd comes and now we have 6 and maybe 8 cores on the mainstream platform.

So it could have been done. Great.

Then when the 8 core CPUs came out and they said the 270 wouldn't support them you'd bitch about that too. They have to take a stand somewhere. Better to work the lowest common denominator; that being a marketing standpoint. If they say the 270 can support SOME 8000 series CPUs but not other's many people won't pay attention to that. They'll buy stuff that won't work together then... again bitch about it not working.

I just put a 6-core xeon in a mobo that is over 10 years old, with no bios updates or other hassles.

If these had 8 cores, there's nothing keeping them from working but switches in the hardware that intel set to rip us off.

I just put a 6-core xeon in a mobo that is over 10 years old, with no bios updates or other hassles.

If these had 8 cores, there's nothing keeping them from working but switches in the hardware that intel set to rip us off.
well, i have a dell precision t3600 with a sandy bridge-e cpu and the only thing stopping me from upgrading that cpu to a ivy bridge-e is a bios update, which dell will never release.

funny enough, i heard that HP did the opposite and released a bios update for their equivalent workstation and this upgrade is possible to do with their systems.

Last edited:

AMD died in the CPU market long ago, you're just watching AMD's version of Weekend at Bernie's now. ;):p

Reactions: DPI
like this
Would an 8 core CPU overload the VRMs and/or the P4 power connector on some cheaper Z270 MBs?
Not that I am familiar with the Z270 lineup, but I would expect an 8 core requiring EPS12V

Also, where are the H, B and Q 3xx chipsets?

Then when the 8 core CPUs came out and they said the 270 wouldn't support them you'd bitch about that too. They have to take a stand somewhere. Better to work the lowest common denominator; that being a marketing standpoint. If they say the 270 can support SOME 8000 series CPUs but not other's many people won't pay attention to that. They'll buy stuff that won't work together then... again bitch about it not working.
Why would I Bitch about that...

Back