Coding on Macbook Late 2013 13'

shekkery

n00b
Was wondering about a few developers in here ... I currently have a 15' Macbook 2010, and I'm thinking about getting a refresh here.

How is coding on the Late 2013 Retina 13''? Pros / Cons? I'm worried I'm used to the 15'' too much and I'll hate the size, but the portability seems great.

Also - do you know if it's possible to downgrade from Mavericks to the previous version if you buy a new Macbook from the Apple Store?

Thanks!

The 13" Retina is now the standard deployment at my company for software engineers. We have yet to hear any significant complaints. We had some concern about the non-AG screens but we've been told the glare is not enough to bother people.

The OS X that the Mac comes with is the baseline OS version it will reliably run.

The reason we want to downgrade is because we always run into a type of compiler issue. Since I work at a startup (everyone literally does everything) we end up using 15-20 open source frameworks that always seem to have a problem with the newest version of Mac OS X until everything catches up. So we normally wait about a year for some of our frameworks to be fully compatible.

So my question ends up being, if I purchase this, would I be able to downgrade to the previous OSX version?

Thanks!

The reason we want to downgrade is because we always run into a type of compiler issue. Since I work at a startup (everyone literally does everything) we end up using 15-20 open source frameworks that always seem to have a problem with the newest version of Mac OS X until everything catches up. So we normally wait about a year for some of our frameworks to be fully compatible.

So my question ends up being, if I purchase this, would I be able to downgrade to the previous OSX version?

Thanks!

You guys are building on OSX? :eek: Good god man, get some VMWare Fusion/Vagrant with Vagrant to standardize the compile process!

Coding on the 13" MBPr is okay on 1400x900. If you have good eye sight, I would suggest installing RDM and set the resolution to 2560x1600.

Just run external monitors if you need more real estate.

You guys are building on OSX? :eek: Good god man, get some VMWare Fusion/Vagrant with Vagrant to standardize the compile process!

I mean ... that's new to me, it doesn't sound completely farfetched, just we have a team of 7, so its never been a crazy issue to keep everyone on check same version.

For the record we do have virtual machines (ie. workon [env]), but there are some modules that are installed in root outside of the vm that are painful. IE. ML's GCC caused me a lot of headache compiling some stuff. So I've been trying to figure out if I can kick it back to ML instead of Mavericks, so I hit some compiling snag

Why wouldn't you get a 15" MBP retina? I have a mid 2010 MBP(sig) and up for refresh this summer... my 2010 is honestly plenty fast since I added the SSD. I really just want to upgrade for the retina resolution and the two thunderbolt ports(I have two 27" HP IPS monitors at work and need the dual thunderbolt to use both with my laptop).

No way in hell would I get a 13" for everyday work... unless I was using an external monitor with it.

I currently have a MB 2010 too (with an SSD), and it's good, but it's definitely wearing down. I run a lot of computational calculations on it (based on the field I'm in), and I'm due for a refresh. However, the 13 is just so much more portable than a 15, which is why I was debating between the two. I'm used to coding on the 15' with a monitor, but as mentioned I could do dual-monitor with the 13' which seems a little more reasonable. Was asking around just to see how developers felt that trade-off was.

My Macbook 2010 is definitely dying though as my memory is faulty and my wireless card no longer works.

Thanks for the response so far!

I mean ... that's new to me, it doesn't sound completely farfetched, just we have a team of 7, so its never been a crazy issue to keep everyone on check same version.

For the record we do have virtual machines (ie. workon [env]), but there are some modules that are installed in root outside of the vm that are painful. IE. ML's GCC caused me a lot of headache compiling some stuff. So I've been trying to figure out if I can kick it back to ML instead of Mavericks, so I hit some compiling snag

Unless you guys are writing OSX specific software I recommend you guys look into standardizing your build process. I work as a full stack engineer at a start up and let me tell you, a fully standardized VM that everyone deploys to is a god send in troubleshooting issues. No more "it works on my machine every time!". If it doesn't work on the standard build VM, then there's something wrong with it :p:D

Back on topic. I'd get the 15" rMBP if you don't care about the weight and lugging it around. Otherwise, the 13". Just make sure you have external monitors.

I currently have a MB 2010 too (with an SSD), and it's good, but it's definitely wearing down. I run a lot of computational calculations on it (based on the field I'm in), and I'm due for a refresh. However, the 13 is just so much more portable than a 15, which is why I was debating between the two. I'm used to coding on the 15' with a monitor, but as mentioned I could do dual-monitor with the 13' which seems a little more reasonable. Was asking around just to see how developers felt that trade-off was.

My Macbook 2010 is definitely dying though as my memory is faulty and my wireless card no longer works.

Thanks for the response so far!

The 13" really isn't much more portable. I had a 13" ultrabook that I used for coding in school, I really got tired of the 13" screen and went for the 15" retina. It's just as portable and not much heavier. The added screen space is super nice, I wouldn't go the 13" personally because I have been there and it just wasn't all that hot.

Early 2011 MBP 13 (SB i7 @ 2.7GHz)

I prefer the 13". Work bought me at 15", the bigger screen is nice but I rather have the portability.

Get VMWare Fusion. Don't argue, get it and run the previous version of OSX on there. (Or you can get your virtualization software of choice.)

Apple allows you to run OSX in a VM as long as the host machine is an Apple machine. :)

Pro:
1600x1400 resolution (sublime text/ browser all on one screen)
Retina Screen AMAZING!!!
Portability ~3.8lbs

Con:
Price $$

The version of OS X that comes on the Mac is the *baseline* version that will run on that Mac.

That is the long winded version of "no."

the 15" rMPB is very near the size of the classic MBP 13".

You can run older versions of OS X in a VM.

You can also downgrade the new machine's OS to an older version.
In fact, you can take a time machine (or carbon copy) snapshot and boot off the external hard drive or just copy it wholesale onto the new hard drive (or partition) and boot directly to it--don't even need to "install" anything.

The 15's usually have way better speakers than the 13's if that's important to you at all.

the 15" rMPB is very near the size of the classic MBP 13".

You can run older versions of OS X in a VM.

You can also downgrade the new machine's OS to an older version.
In fact, you can take a time machine (or carbon copy) snapshot and boot off the external hard drive or just copy it wholesale onto the new hard drive (or partition) and boot directly to it--don't even need to "install" anything.

Hyperbole? Having both a 15" rMBP and a 13" MBP Early Feb 2011 (the one with the DVD R/RW) I can tell you they are no where close to "very near" the size of each other. The 15" rMBP is just not close to being as portable as the 13" rMBP or 13" MBP classic.

Last edited:
If only MacBooks existed in three dimensions rather than in two...

Think about that one again in regards to portability. Such as using one on your lap or on an airplane and then "attempt" to think about what "dimensions" of the MBP factor in there...

When I upgraded from the 13" to a rMBP 15" all of my cases fit.
Here it is in my timbuk2 that was designed to carry a 13" snugly...
U64cLtEl.jpg

so width wise it's very close and from front to back it's about an inch or so longer. but it's lighter, thinner, and the battery lasts longer. there's a tremendous amount of screen real estate for the size because the bezel is about half as wide as the 13" pro.

despite it being "larger" it fits in the same cases (big deal to me when I was considering upgrading because I had *just* dropped a couple hundred on my timbuk2), has more real estate, lasts longer, and isn't even all that much larger in total dimensionality due to how much thinner it is.

Think about that one again in regards to portability. Such as using one on your lap or on an airplane and then "attempt" to think about what "dimensions" of the MBP factor in there...
the only dimensions that factor into sitting one on a lap in a plane would be width, weight, and battery. The 15" wins all three of those against the 13" classic. your second picture illustrates how minimal the difference is in real world working conditions.

When I upgraded from the 13" to a rMBP 15" all of my cases fit.

so width wise it's very close and from front to back it's about an inch or so longer. but it's lighter, thinner, and the battery lasts longer. there's a tremendous amount of screen real estate for the size because the bezel is about half as wide as the 13" pro.

despite it being "larger" it fits in the same cases (big deal to me when I was considering upgrading because I had *just* dropped a couple hundred on my timbuk2), has more real estate, lasts longer, and isn't even all that much larger in total dimensionality due to how much thinner it is.

the only dimensions that factor into sitting one on a lap in a plane would be width, weight, and battery. The 15" wins all three of those against the 13" classic. your second picture illustrates how minimal the difference is in real world working conditions.

Wait a minute. How does it win in portability? Especially in a plane in coach? The thing doesn't fit "well" on a 767 Boeing in coach on the tray nor a 737. The width and height matter when opening the thing especially when on my lap. Unless you're flying in business or first class, managing that 15" pro is not fun (and it's hilarious watching people attempt it on the plane and annoy their neighbors in the process.)

It's one thing to say "the 15" is portable enough for me." Different strokes.

The guy up I replied to was trying to be a ass. Fact of the matter is, the 15" pro is light (not like the 13 ever felt heavy.) However, having both here (13 MBP is personal and 15 rMBP for work) opening them up working them is night and day difference where "I" don't have the space.

And about the "case". Do you mean notebook bags?! My 13 Incase doesn't fit my 15 rMBP and neither does my Moshi clear shell case I have on the 15 fit the 13.....

Last edited:
Using a late 2013 rMPB now. Awesome stuff. Probably possible to downgrade to previous version but you are not dealing with the problem. You should be standardising your build process on a standard VM template first.

And unless you are reliant on Apple's stuff (e.g. iOS, etc), you don't even need to install Mac OS X on it. CentOS or Ubuntu looks great. Vagrant + Virtual Box works fine for standard debugging / testing purposes.

13 rMBP is my daily carry, great size IMO and I love how you can boost the res when you need the extra working room.

I also spend a ton of my day moving around the office, so portability is key.

Only "issue" I noticed is the edges are pretty damn sharp. So if you are, let's say on a couch, and typing it can dig into your skin. But it's not really a huge problem.

Back