Codec pack for Vista 64-bit?

cirial

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed another 2GB of ram to put me at 4GB (thus the reason for going 64bit), and I installed CCCP, but it does not seem to want to work at all... None of my xvid files play in WMP. What codec pack works correctly with Vista 64-bit?

I personally use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (which is K-Lite codecs + real alternative + quicktime alternative) with AC3Filter. I assume you're using the 32-bit version of WMP, not the 64-bit, although Media Player Classic comes with this codec pack anyway.

http://filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec/

I just installed another 2GB of ram to put me at 4GB (thus the reason for going 64bit), and I installed CCCP, but it does not seem to want to work at all... None of my xvid files play in WMP. What codec pack works correctly with Vista 64-bit?

As a rule I frown on using codec packs, the potential to seriously screw things up is just too great and when you have this huge mangled mess of multiple codecs it just gets worse. It may be a pain in the ass when you reformat, but a codec by codec installation is better in the long run.

Now with that being said the CCCP should work OK so long as you use a 32-bit application to render the video file. WMP11 included in Vista is a 32-bit application so you shouldn't be having this problem... hmmm....

You could try a different codec pack, or just grab the latest XVid:

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Even though I'm using the 32-bit version of WMP im having problems with play back of basic xvid and divx files. I guess I will uninstall CCCP and give K-Lite a try. I haven't had too bad an experience with codec packs, so no worries.. I just cant figure out why CCCP wont work at all.. :(

Codec packs can indeed be a mess, it depends on a variety of factors, although anybody would agree that less is more. K-Lite does look for current and broken codecs already on your system when you install it, offering you the chance to remove or fix them, which may help avoid some issues (you should remove all that you can beforehand, though). If you still have problems, you can use other players, MPC and VLC being the most common.

I have the K-Lite pack installed now.. however it doesnt seem like Vista wants to provide thumbnails for all my xvid/divx movie files.. Do I also have to install the K-Lite 64-bit pack also? I read the 32bit and 64bit K-Lite packs will play nice together?

Back