Code Repository/Check-in/Check-out system

Murali

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

The company I'm working for has grown a lot and now I'm no longer the only programmer. We're looking for an app that lets us do code check-in/check-out that'll also store all the changes.

All the files we need monitored are plaintext, and we do most of our development in Notepad or Notepad++. The app must work in Server 2003.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Perforce has a free version (5 users, 1 repo)
runs on windows.

There's also git, mercurial, subversion, and plain ol' CVS.

There are a whole slew of pay-apps too.

I personally use perforce and mercurial

go with SVN. If you are a windows user TortoiseSVN is /really/ nice
They are working on TortoiseGit which will be fantastic

go with SVN. If you are a windows user TortoiseSVN is /really/ nice
They are working on TortoiseGit which will be fantastic

I've downloaded it and have been playing with it... Its not quite as simple as I thought it'd be... Like, I made a repository, but I'm not sure how to make Tortoise SVN monitor a certain folder of files and then check-out/check-in files.

Granted, I could also be a giant noob. :)

Well if you managed to create a repo that is 1/2 the battle ;) - whatever you think, it is actually quite easy to use day-to-day (initial setup is a bugger yer but once a working repo is running its a case of edit and commit)

What you need todo is use the REPO-BROWSER and point it to your SVN database you made. In there make a folder for your project (say it is called "foo")
now inside of this folder make some folders called :
trunk
branches
tags

Theses
are just std svn directories, so if you do any reading you have a layout that is familiar
once done time to check out
basically make an empty folder somewhere and right-click on it and under the new context menu that tortoiseSVN setup there should be a "checkout" option

point the dialog to where you created the SVN repo server and checkout yr project (foo/trunk). This should make a .svn folder in this previous directory

NOW everytime you add file to this directory it will get an icon-overlay showing it is an un-tracked file. Now you can right-click on these files (or group right-click) and goto "add"

once you are happy "commit" the changes (right-click on the parent directory) with a msg and bam you are done. The tracked files should get a green tick and if you look at the root folder it should also have a green tick

now every time you change one of these files their individual green tick will change to a red stop symbol and the parent folder will show a warning as well

TortoiseSVN is great!!!! once you get the hang of it!!
yer people go in that git is better (and TortoiseGit is coming along nicely) but to be fair if it is just your own work and only you work on it then SVN is perfect!

git comes into its own the more people that work on it (or if you need local commit history, which is GREAT!!)

I am a hardware engineer so spend alot of my time burning my fingers on soldering irons BUT I do do some vhdl/python stuff for work and before I would just use dated/versioned folder for my stuff but after using TortoiseSVN :D

Walk-through worked perfectly, thank you!

Would I be able to do check-out on a folder currently containing files?

I've got a website in IIS I'd like to run this against.... will this only work on new projects or would be able to "check out" the IIS folder?

Walk-through worked perfectly, thank you!

Would I be able to do check-out on a folder currently containing files?

I've got a website in IIS I'd like to run this against.... will this only work on new projects or would be able to "check out" the IIS folder?

yup thats fine, JUST not if you checkout into a populated folder and there are files named the same they will get over-written (or it will inform you)

one good thing with SVN is you can have sub-projects. Say you have modules common to a number of pojects you can have a repo for these common modules and then link this repo to the other projects that depend on it. That way they all get reported when there is a change.

THIS is why I am sticking with SVN (even tho there are parts of GIT I vastly prefer and I use git for some FOSS projects) simply because the git equiv is still in its infancy

At work we used PVCS Serena Dimensions for it. It do builds, baselines, checkin/checkout, groups, projects, worksets, and lots of stuff

sharepoint can also do this but probably not what you need

sharepoint is overkill for this and needs a windows-server edition.
TortoiseSVN really is the best thing out there for windows-users who need a decent VCS and don't want to learn the ins and outs

Back