COD4 single player- 2 Words....

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
2 words = War Pig

without a doubt the best single player level in a FPS war sim I have ever played.

I have 1 word to describe COD4 single player campaign - cheap.

Infinite respawning enemies is poor game mechanics and design.

you guys suck :)

the enemies aren't infinite...theres just alot of them,
and they come from the underground hiding places just like Sadam
granted, it's a shooting gallery but name a better level in a FPS war sim

the tank, the ringing effect if you're too close when it fires, the exploding watermelons, the buses, the choppers with bodies falling out if you time the RPG right, the tank, the buildings when struck by the tank shells, the flying bodies from grenades, the guys falling off roofs and balconies, the tank, the sense of a real chaotic firefight...

what the #%^$ do you want?
go play WoW if you don't like it

Gee, where to start

How about realism? How about UAVs, discression or some sort of cautious hesitation on the part of my countrymen (I understand they're fighting men, but they rush into ANY situation with the zeal of a crusader), maybe a feeling as if my squadmates are in any way valuable or that my safety is dependent on their survival? Why is the opposition so heavily entrenched? Where was the Air Force in the days and hours leading up to my arriving on the scene? Why no close air support? Thankfully, others have already addressed the laughable respawning enemies, but that's more a gameplay argument than the realism I seek since we know from the recent conflict in the Middle East that the region is experiencing no dire shortage of committed, violent individuals. The game was an interesting playthrough, and presented a fascinating mash-up of late Cold War and post-Cold War combat scenarios, but in no way reflected them faithfully. I was left wanting.

it wasnt 100% realistic but i dont think it was trying to be either. but it was badass lol.

i can never decide if a 100% realisitc FPS war game would be awesome or just a huge PITA....eitehr way, if someone made it id def try it.

COD4 is a great game and I agree with the OP, War Pig is a cool level.

I loved COD4. Shock and Awe + Aftermath was one of the most unique things I've ever seen in a video game. The soundtrack was awesome, too.

I want to send Captain Price to get Bin Laden!!!

Its got great single player game. But, yes, there are infinite enemy spawning if you don't move forward. But, you'll also notice that you have infinite friends. If a couple of your guys die, you still end up with your whole team after you move up. So, it kind of works both ways there.

I think it would be better if the single player campaign was longer though. It just seemed too short.

I think its a great mix of realism and arcade style. War Pig is nice, and its a blast to stand too close when the thing fires. I also like throwing flash-bang grenades into crowed houses and then charge in laughing at the guys holding their ears. :p

I'm playing through again currently. Or I was before I shipped my vid card off for a Step-Up.

... I was left wanting.

That is the feeling that everyone got after they finished the singleplayer. Now if you want to talk about the Multiplayer, that is a whole other thread.

I hope IW comes out with a expansion for COD4 singleplayer. that would be really nice.

COD4 Singleplayer > COD4 Multiplayer fragfest

COD4 SP = COD4MP

although MP never seems to get old...i used to think it was too over the top...and still do i fire up TDM or something...

get some hardcore S&D going and youll change your mind fast. personally I enjoy it 10 fold to CSS and the like.

I really enjoyed the SP, didn't really get into the MP much. I'm just busy with other things so I haven't gotten into MP of anything in quite some time. ;)

it wasnt 100% realistic but i dont think it was trying to be either. but it was badass lol.

i can never decide if a 100% realisitc FPS war game would be awesome or just a huge PITA....eitehr way, if someone made it id def try it.

Closest thing to a 100% realistic war sim was Operation Flashpoint imo. sure is a bit outdated but was one of the most challenging games i've played.

I've never played COD4 but watched friends play, it looks pretty cool.. i was a bigger fan of the ww2 COD games but still looked good.

COD4 Singleplayer = Too Short

Great game but I didn't even realize I was about to beat the game, was just getting in a short warm up for a LAN later in the evening an *poof* the credits start rolling.

My two words would be "insanely short"

you guys suck :)

the enemies aren't infinite...theres just alot of them,
and they come from the underground hiding places just like Sadam

the tank, the ringing effect if you're too close when it fires, the exploding watermelons, the buses, the choppers with bodies falling out if you time the RPG right, the tank, the buildings when struck by the tank shells, the flying bodies from grenades, the guys falling off roofs and balconies, the tank, the sense of a real chaotic firefight...

go play WoW if you don't like it

I can think of several games, Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, any Rainbow Six game before Raven Shield.

CoD4 enemies continued to spawn until you passed a certain point. It also had several flaws not limited to but including, linear mission paths, instant death for leaving the combat area, inability to open doors etc.

In short I would like a real sim.

It's certainly no war sim, but it is a very good arcade shooter even if it's too short.

My money says you're the sort of person that joins an online SD/CTF game and sits at the back of the map waiting for people to run into his sights, instead of taking the initiative.

I never even noticed the respawning enemies because I got stuck in and pushed up when I was playing, but then I'm the sort of person that likes to contribute when playing a game. Didn't know it existed until people started crying about it.

Reading this thread, the majority of issues seem to be coming from people who started the game up expecting it to be some sort of true-to-life tactical simulation, and then pissed themselves when it wasn't - despite nobody ever claiming it to be. CoD games have always been simple, cinematic action games. You should have read a review before buying if you were after a simulation, kids!

My money says you're the sort of person that joins an online SD/CTF game and sits at the back of the map waiting for people to run into his sights, instead of taking the initiative.

I never even noticed the respawning enemies because I got stuck in and pushed up when I was playing, but then I'm the sort of person that likes to contribute when playing a game. Didn't know it existed until people started crying about it.

Reading this thread, the majority of issues seem to be coming from people who started the game up expecting it to be some sort of true-to-life tactical simulation, and then pissed themselves when it wasn't - despite nobody ever claiming it to be. CoD games have always been simple, cinematic action games. You should have read a review before buying if you were after a simulation, kids!

Epic.

Thanks.

I think thats why everyone is saying its not a war sim. Plus it doesn't take a genius to realize that the enemies respawn when it happens right in front of you.

COD4 SP really wasnt that great, it is highly overrated I don't understand why people raved about it so much. There are plenty of other games that have highly superior SP campaigns.

And war sim...lol? Like stated, operation flashpoint is a hell of a lot closer to a war sim. Delta force isn't too bad, or ArmA.

I really enjoyed the single player campaign of the game. Some times it felt like there were unusual amount of enemies but eventually you go and push their shit in.

Though War Pig was great, especially seeing the tank turn the last corner, what I really remembered was the begining (on the ship), the Sniper mission (evading the helicopter), Death from Above (of course) and the ending sequences.

I think thats why everyone is saying its not a war sim. Plus it doesn't take a genius to realize that the enemies respawn when it happens right in front of you.

I'm not saying it's meant to be a war sim. I don't understand of point of your post/your quote.

Dude you want real to life action... Join the fucking ARMY. I'm sure that you will see everything that you were expecting with COD4 and then some.

They only infinite respawn if you're a scrub. I never once noticed this until people started bitching about it on here.

Edit. Bah, Wally beat me to it.

Well its a good thing that no real money is involved because otherwise you would be that much poorer.

I never even noticed the respawning enemies because I got stuck in and pushed up when I was playing, but then I'm the sort of person that likes to contribute when playing a game. Didn't know it existed until people started crying about it.!

Trying playing it on the hardest difficulty and then come back and tell me you don't mind when an enemy pops out of nowhere to rub you out when you are literally 2 seconds from a save point.

And why play on harder difficulties you ask? Because I cannot stand the use of infinite health (one of the worst contributions ever made by Halo to the fps genre).

I have played every iteration of COD, I was under no misapprehension that COD4 was first and foremost an arcade shooter. I was not after a military simulation, but that being said that does not mean I should just accept shitty game play mechanics and features which just scream consolitus (fixed save points, infinite health)

Gee, where to start

How about realism? How about UAVs, discression or some sort of cautious hesitation on the part of my countrymen (I understand they're fighting men, but they rush into ANY situation with the zeal of a crusader), maybe a feeling as if my squadmates are in any way valuable or that my safety is dependent on their survival? Why is the opposition so heavily entrenched? Where was the Air Force in the days and hours leading up to my arriving on the scene? Why no close air support? Thankfully, others have already addressed the laughable respawning enemies, but that's more a gameplay argument than the realism I seek since we know from the recent conflict in the Middle East that the region is experiencing no dire shortage of committed, violent individuals. The game was an interesting playthrough, and presented a fascinating mash-up of late Cold War and post-Cold War combat scenarios, but in no way reflected them faithfully. I was left wanting.

cod4, as ll cod games arent war sims in any way shape of form. they are meant to be taken as interactive action movies. And they do that better than anything else i've seen come along. There's no other game series to come out yet that gives the same adrenaline rush feeling. Yes some of the mechanics are kinda cheap, but that's how action movies are. the hero is a god among men laying waste to hordes of baddies in order to complete his objective. if it's not your cup of tea, fine, but don't try to act like it's flawed for doing exactly what it set out to do. the bigest problem with cod4 sp is it's too darn short.

if it's not your cup of tea, fine, but don't try to act like it's flawed for doing exactly what it set out to do.

Very good point. And I really can't take issue with it as it was never advertised as anything but an action thriller. Unfortunately, many of its most ardent fans have run around frothing at the mouth attempting to portray it as something it's not. It does very well to keep the action intense. There's really never a dull moment, and special mention goes to the post-credits sequence.

While COD4 was heavily scripted, I found the SP experience entralling. It pulled me in, more then any other FPS I have ever played.

COD4 SP really wasnt that great, it is highly overrated I don't understand why people raved about it so much. There are plenty of other games that have highly superior SP campaigns.

well because people are different and have different opinons

i loved it btw

Back