CoD4 iw3mp.exe has stopped working, help please!

Azazel90x

2[H]4U
Everytime i start multiplayer, and go to Find Server, the screen goes black and i get the error msgs saying iw3mp.exe has stopped working.

I have googled this problem, and i have done just about everything there is!

Ive uninstalled my realtek drivers, let ms install their own, no dice

Ive plugged in mic and headphones, still no dice

ive enabled stero mix, still no dice....

Reinstalled CoD4, still the same!

I have an Asus g50vt-x1 laptop, specs in sig, it worked before i reformatted my system, now it wont work period, any suggestions? single player works just fine!

Last edited:
This happened to me quite often, turned out to be a Punkbuster issue. I don't recall the exact fix, but a quick google search helped me find the solution.

Format is not a fix. It sounds like it may be a Punkbuster issue as stated before. Formatting is not a fix for anything, Its a work around for not knowing how to fix it. Spend some time on google searching for the punkbuster as an issue and a solution may be out there. Also have you fully patched the program?

Found a temp fix..

You need to go to where you loaded say C:\ProgramFiles\Activision\Call of Duty 4\Miles

In this folder there is a file called mssmp3.asi. Rename that file to mssmp3.bak and the MP will work fine.

Try This

In my case it was the audio drivers that were the culprit. I uninstalled the manufacturers updated drivers and stuck with the default Microsoft driver for Windows Vista x64 and it worked perfectly from then on out.

Format is not a fix. It sounds like it may be a Punkbuster issue as stated before. Formatting is not a fix for anything, Its a work around for not knowing how to fix it. Spend some time on google searching for the punkbuster as an issue and a solution may be out there. Also have you fully patched the program?

Its fully updated, im running the steam version, I fully updated it manually from the evanbalance website.

Found a temp fix..

You need to go to where you loaded say C:\ProgramFiles\Activision\Call of Duty 4\Miles

In this folder there is a file called mssmp3.asi. Rename that file to mssmp3.bak and the MP will work fine.

Try This

Nope, did that and nothing.

Thing is, it worked just fine before i formatted, now what? im using the same drivers and the exact same vista cd, everythings the same except i dont have a bunch of crap installed anymore

Last edited:
The only time i had a problem with that error is when i was messing with the overclocking and it wasn't stable so it would crash as soon as i started the game. After the fix never had problems with it. Highly unlikely, but you never know...

I havent messed with the overclocking, my laptop has built in overclocking, but i havent used it yet.

If you are running Fraps, disable it. Punkbuster recognises it as an issue for some reason, and boots me out of CoD4/2142 every time I forget about it and leave it running. That's all I have to contribute.

Well, Windows 7 is about to be done downloading, gonna install that since ive been wanting to for a while but never got around to it, and hope that the issue is resolved with the new install.

And i have fraps installed, but its not running when i play.

Here is what i found on the Activision website. There are some issues running CoD 4 multiplayer on some onboard sound cards.
If you have a RealTek sound card, you can try the latest RealTek drivers

If you have a Sigmatel® onboard sound card you will need to install all Windows® Vista updates, and the latest Sigmatel drivers from www.dell.com. Please navigate from the dell homepage to support, your make and model computer, and look for a sound card update.

If you are running the game from a secondary partition, download the latest BIOS updates from your motherboard manufacturer in addition to following the above instructions.

If you have the RealTek soundcard and the above doesn't resolve the issue then try the following:

Go to Start then Control Panel
Double click on the Sound Tool
Click on the Recording tab
Right click anywhere in the Playback Devices box and select "Show Disabled Devices"
Enable the Stereo Mix

If all else fails try connecting something to the microphone jack on your sound card. A microphone is optimal but using a pair of headphones or even just a phono plug adapter will work. Do not plug anything that is powered into your microphone jack as it could cause damage to your system. Also, there have been reports from some customers that plugging in a USB microphone into an available USB port may have a positive affect on this issue.

Back