CoD2 corruption with x1900xtx

Musei

Weaksauce
I just built a new system with a Sapphire X1900XTX and I'm getting wierd corruption in CoD2 . The best I can explain it is that I have black streaks that flash on the screen randomly (but pretty constantly). I set the graphics pretty low and I still get this. I've also played FEAR, BF2 and WoW on this system and none of those exhibit the same problem. I uninstalled the drivers (6.3 cats) using the ATI removal tool and reinstalled both the drivers and CoD2. It's still fine in the other games, but CoD2 has this problem still.

The system is still running at stock speeds, I haven't gotten to overclocking anything yet.

System specs are in my sig, any ideas?

your card could be going bad ,

try updating motherboard bios ,

maybe reinstall directx,

if nothing helps RMA the card

All the hardware is new and the BIOS was updated before installing any OS. I guess I'll try reinstalling DX, that's the only thing I haven't tried yet. If not I guess I'll have to RMA it.

This happend to me when oc'ing my x1900xt. I got a strange artifact on teh beach landing level at the end of the game, where a tree would stretch for miles, and black artifcating as you mentioned.
At stock its fine however, so i would suggest maybe you have a bad card.

What temps are you getting? They might be high temperature related artifacts. The stock cooler for the X1900 is notably not very well made. Try taking it off and lapping the GPU contact and using AS5 and see if it changes anything.

Slo Gun said:
This happend to me when oc'ing my x1900xt. I got a strange artifact on teh beach landing level at the end of the game, where a tree would stretch for miles, and black artifcating as you mentioned.
At stock its fine however, so i would suggest maybe you have a bad card.

That's exactly it. My temps didn't look out of the ordinary, but I'll double check when I get home later.

Thanks. :)

It's hitting about 89-90C in CoD2, but the corruption happens immediately on playing when the temps are still down in the 70s.

This card is new so I just put in for a RMA to get it replaced.

Musei said:
It's hitting about 89-90C in CoD2, but the corruption happens immediately on playing when the temps are still down in the 70s.

This card is new so I just put in for a RMA to get it replaced.

Was just about to ask if you had a sapphire, but i can see from you first post that you do.
My temps were really high aswell ive since replaced it with the accelero and it has sorted it out.
When i took of the stock heatsink, i noticed it still had a machine finish with grooves in the metal, very poor. I remember reading a preview of the x1900's and they noted this, but said that it was just for the preview sample, and the final product would not be like this.

I would def RMA your card, and prehaps take a look at the aftermarket coolers, i think the zalaman ones are meant to be good. I am quite happy with the accelero aswell.

Well I was playing around a bit today before sending it back. It looks like 75C is the magic number in CoD2. As soon as it hits 75 I start getting a ton of corruption. I played around in ATITool and upped the fan speed which took care of some of it, but man it's like having a small Lear jet in my case.

I'm RMAing this one nonetheless, I don't think I should be getting that much corruption at 75C... I can see it maybe when it's hotter but even with better cooling I don't think I can keep it that much below 75 except H2O, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take the "plunge" on that yet.. still old fashioned and fear having water in my computer. :p Hopefully the replacement will be better.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Back