Coaxial S/PDIF Output?

FooAtari

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
84
I am planning on getting the Asus P5N-E but im not sure about the audio output. It has the usual connections, speakers/headphones, mic and line-in and also a 6 channel Coaxial S/PDIF output.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE1OTE2MzY3MGF6b1JQemFMb3pfMV8xM19sLmdpZg==

Am I right in thinking this would provide 5.1 surround? And is it a good/commonly supported output type? Is it any better or worse than 6 analouge ports that some motherboards have?

I do actuallty have an Audigy ZS that I plan on using, but im just curious about the on-board outputs

Ta.
 
It's a digital output. You can pass through 6 channel surround using an optical cable or an RCA cable to an external decoder. It's better than the 6 analog outputs because it's a digital connection but it requires having a receiver/speakers with a digital decoder.
 
Although onboards are getting better day by day. They still don't compare with a decent add in card. Your audigy 2 would sound alot better then your onboard and provide better support for gaming aswell. Most onboards will only give you 2.0 stereo over digital connection UNLESS your playing a 5.1 encoded DVD or file etc. It is possible your onboard may have some type of upmix technology but highly doubtful. Install the Audigy 2 Zs and be done with it. THe A2 ZS also supports digital in the exact same manner.
 
Cheers guys. I think thats the mobo il go for, seems to have decent sound as far as onboard goes. But ill be using the Audigy
 
Good plan. The Audigy has digital ouput and is superior for 2 channel stuff.
 
Back
Top