• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Coaxial Audio DVD Player...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 79192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79192

Guest
Hey guys, I have a problem. I got a new DivX DVD player, but instead of it having the tons of audio ports like my old 5.1 surround sound DVD player, it has this tihng called a "coaxial" port. I was wondering if there was an adapter or something out there that I can use to convert all those analog speaker signals into the new digital coaxial port so I can use my DivX DVD player with the surround speaker system. Sorry that this problem isn't about "computer" audio but I thought this was the best forum to post my problem. Thanks in advance, guys.
 
Matt Welke said:
Hey guys, I have a problem. I got a new DivX DVD player, but instead of it having the tons of audio ports like my old 5.1 surround sound DVD player, it has this tihng called a "coaxial" port. I was wondering if there was an adapter or something out there that I can use to convert all those analog speaker signals into the new digital coaxial port so I can use my DivX DVD player with the surround speaker system. Sorry that this problem isn't about "computer" audio but I thought this was the best forum to post my problem. Thanks in advance, guys.
This basically means it doesn't have a DD/DTS decoder onboard, you need external DD/DTS amplification for it. The coax out is a digital out that carries a digital sound signal to your amp for decoding, so you need an external amp for your DVD player first.
 
So this would be the bigger subwoofer speaker right? The amp? If so, I already have one. If not, where can I get this external device? (sorry, i'm a n00b when it comes to audio stuff).
 
Might help to know what kind of speakers you are using (make/model). By your description it sounds like they only accept analog input signals.
 
Matt Welke said:
(sorry, i'm a n00b when it comes to audio stuff).
Don't worry, we all had to start knowing nothing.

Anyway, in this case the DVD player probably has at least the digital coaxial, and maybe an "analog out" or RCA. It might even have optical out, who knows.

But, anyway. What you want to do, is hook the "coaxial out" from the DVD player to the "coaxial input" on the Receiver. A "Receiver" is a intergrated amplifier with a built in AM/FM tuner. Here is an example of a receiver.

The Receiver will process the digital signal and convert it into analog. From the receiver, you will connect your speakers to the speaker connections on the receiver using normal speaker wire.

~Hope this helps
 
Hey, that makes absolute perfect sense and sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for! The problem is, I don't know what it looks like because your link won't load. :p Also, the non-DivX DVD player does indeed use analog input. You're completely correct. So basically, what I am looking for is a receiver that will convert all of the anolog signals into one coaxial signal? Then, I can connect the coaxial cable directly to my DivX DVD player and KEEP surround sound right? Like, a lot of my DivX movies are 5.1 surround sound and I want to experience all the channels. Thanks in advance! I'll start looking for a receiver.
 
am i missing something here? shouldn't the audio be coming OUT of the player TO the receiver? aren't you going to burn the divx material to a cd and then play it in the divx player?

i.e.

player ---> digital coax ---> receiver ---> speaker wire ---> speakers

not being a wiseass, maybe i'm just not understanding the question correctly?
 
Yes, the Digital coaxial cable will most likely provide your 5.1 channel surround sound. This is assuming that the DVD player can output 5.1 channels through digital, which most can.
It will go something like this

DVD player > coaxial cable > receiver > speaker wire > speakers.
Technically speaking you will connect the cables like this:
DVD player coaxial output > receiver coaxial input > speaker wire > speakers
The Receiver should come with an instruction booklet that should explain the specifics if need be.

On a side note, try the Link again. Or for more information, you can look at this http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR1705.pdf It requires a PDF view, like Adobe acrobat reader.

If not, goto your local audio store and ask to see their "Receivers". They will know instantly what you are talking about. Then if you need more help, they should be able to help you. Just tell them what you have, and what you want to do with it. If the staff is good, they can point you in the right direction.

~Hope this helps
 
Sweet. next time I'm in futureshop I'll go to the audio section and ask to see the receivers. Thanks guys!
 
Or you could return your current DivX player and get a DivX DVD player that has an onboard Dolby Digital and DTS decoder and save yourself a bit of money.

My Pioneer DV-588A-S has the discrete 5.1 channel outputs on the back for decoding DVD-Audio and SACD discs, but it'll also decode Dolby Digital and DTS tracks through the analog outputs. It plays AC3 encoded DivX content like a champ too.

I have mine connected to my receiver via the Coaxial SPDIF port, but I took it to a friends house and connected it to his Logitech Z640's with female 1/8" stereo-to-RCA adapters and it worked fine.
 
Back
Top