CnQ and Overclocking FX8320 to FX8350

ClockerXP

Gawd
Hello-

I'm going to be building a new system as a Plex server. It will have an FX8320 and I am planning on overclocking it to FX8350 speed. Will I lose any of the power management features of the CPU by doing this? The system will have a lot of idle time and I don't want it to be to wasteful when doing that. Motherboard is an Asus M5A97 R2.0.

I assume I just tweak up the multiplier, hopefully leave the voltage along and move on with it. Is that correct?

Thanks,
CxP

I know that being [H]ard most people want to push everything balls to the wall, but at stock, your 8320 will be more than capable of transcoding several HD streams concurrently, so IMHO you probably don't stand to gain anything from the extra 500MHz, especially since it will be a server and will be on 24/7.

You shouldn't lose power management features unless you explicitly disable them, though some motherboards are retarded when it comes to overclocking and may do something like keeping the CPU at max clocks all the time.

As for having to raise the voltage to make it stable, it's always the silicon lottery. You could have a chip with a lot of headroom or you could have a chip that can't do 5 MHz more.

It depends really on how many threads are you pushing , if your program only uses 2 or 4 it might not see that much benefit as it if were 8.

Cool and Quiet I thought was fan based, idle cpu = lower fan speed. The other option allows cores idle state and conserve energy that way.

C&Q is what allows the CPU to downclock when idle. Generally one has to turn it off or set power management to performance for C&Q to turn off.

Back