CNN on the Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

Interesting to see a news site put out an article that seems to be very into giving facts regarding the console and using the other releases as a point of referrence (and not a reason to buy it over this or that)

nothing in this article is necessarily new, but a key thing it does is give everything what we know in one read, and provides links to things such as the controller.

That price would also be closer to the sweet spot for mainstream consumers, which the company has said is its primary target this generation. The Wii breaks many of the video game industry's traditional rules for a "next generation" console. Graphics on games that have been shown to media are not dramatically better than those found on GameCube games - and the system will not support high definition video, unlike its competitors who are using the move to HDTVs as a major part of their system. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has also vowed to keep game prices lower than the $60 price tag for many Xbox 360 games (a price that's expected to be mirrored for many PS3 titles).

You guys haven't even touched the controller and decided to throw in the towel? :confused:

wow... the reason im getting one IS the controller.. well that and zelda and ssbb

noIinteam said:
You guys haven't even touched the controller and decided to throw in the towel? :confused:
yeah it looks like just too much work :p
and the dang thing looks like a TV remote lol

The reason I'm not getting one is that I haven't seen a single game for it that I like. Same thing with the DS. If it doesn't have anything that goes fast, blows up, or gets naked, I'm not interested.

Also, I want a system that will take advantage of the latest and greatest hardware. I think its dumb that the Wii is only a little bit more powerull than the GameCube. I'm sorry but a fancy controller doesn't bring a last generation system to current generation standards. So it can emulate old Sega and NES games, couldn't Dreamcast do that? I admire that Nintendo is officially supporting this but its a cheap way of quickly expanding your media library.

However, I do think that the price of the Wii will make it more appealing to consumers with lower budgets. The prices of the XBox360/PS3 + games + supporting hardware (TV/Audio) are getting outrageous.

acascianelli said:
The reason I'm not getting one is that I haven't seen a single game for it that I like. Same thing with the DS. If it doesn't have anything that goes fast, blows up, or gets naked, I'm not interested.

CANT AGREE MORE!!!
:D :D

acascianelli said:

Thats too bad, Nintendo makes the best games and a lot of people on here would agree that the DS has the best library out right now...

acascianelli said:
I hate Mario games...
I know nothing wants to make me shoot myself more than watching a little man jumping around and tring to nail his lizard...
Get some real games and maybe i'll play it
:p

CodeX said:
Thats too bad, Nintendo makes the best games and a lot of people on here would agree that the DS has the best library out right now...

To each his own.

soooo, are you guys sitting the next gen out?
i mean cause the other 2 choices are a rip off.

i mean that is, if you can justify spending $600 (or $400) to see shit blow up...

acascianelli said:

-(Xyphox)- said:
CANT AGREE MORE!!!

acascianelli said:
I hate Mario games...

-(Xyphox)- said:
]I know nothing wants to make me shoot myself more than watching a little man jumping around and tring to nail his lizard...
Get some real games and maybe i'll play it

School must have just let out, all the little kids are back online. Ill wait until your bedtime to have an intelligent discussion...

LeviathanZERO said:

i mean that is, if you can justify spending $600 (or $400) to see shit blow up...

I'm waiting till for either Forza 2 or Gran Turismo 5. I'll get which ever one I like better. I got a PS2 just to play Gran Turismo 4.

CodeX said:
School must have just let out, all the little kids are back online. Ill wait until your bedtime to have an intelligent discussion...

kid? boy i am a Network Administrator. I bet i am older than you
I like certain games, dont like to damn bad
I also happen to have a Masters, so dont call me a kid

acascianelli said:
I'm waiting till for either Forza 2 or Gran Turismo 5. I'll get which ever one I like better. I got a PS2 just to play Gran Turismo 4.
ps2 are not bad... i am a xbox guy myself
nothing beats 8vs8 Halo :D

32 vs 32 tribes beats halo ;) jk

I can't wait for metroid.. and smash bros and monkey ball for the party game.

CodeX said:

QFT, jus think another month and the devils are back in school HOORAY red stripe, HOORAY beer!

CodeX said:
Against what? The PSP? The Gamecube?

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I think this says it all :rolleyes:
Not that I've played multiplayer Gamecube games before, but being able to hook 4 XBoxes together and squaring off against 15 other people, as opposed to 3, sounds like a hell of a lot more fun, no matter what game it may be.

I swear...

I post the article mainly for people to see that a news site can be a bit more genuine regarding their article then a site who specializes in such a topic.

Also it seems the gaming industry is becoming alot like the music industry, theres so many genre's, so many opinions, formats, old school, new school, etc etc etc and there are so many people into them that a trillion opinions form

now i say this about music and i guess i'm going to have to start saying this about games as well, theres alot of people who play games, i'm sure you would love to express your very long opinion on why something sucks, and why you'd never playing something, thats great! good for you! i love people who form their own opinions, but please ... please, spare me the lecture as i have to go through 80,000 other people expressing their unique and very different opinion as well, i'm all for people giving their review on something but sithing through the muck of all the over-preeched plusses and minuses of a game is becoming over kill.

if you don't like it, you don't like it, and if you do theres no reason to defend it for anything else other then false facts provided

alot of people aren't going to like the Wii, and alot of people are, argueing if they are a kid or not is worthless, its an opinion formed and should be respected as much

someone says nothing can beat Halo 8vs8 is in the same condition, just because you think theres something better thats still your opinion, in his opinion he loves it and it should stay the same.

Trimlock said:
I swear...

I post the article mainly for people to see that a news site can be a bit more genuine regarding their article then a site who specializes in such a topic.

Also it seems the gaming industry is becoming alot like the music industry, theres so many genre's, so many opinions, formats, old school, new school, etc etc etc and there are so many people into them that a trillion opinions form

now i say this about music and i guess i'm going to have to start saying this about games as well, theres alot of people who play games, i'm sure you would love to express your very long opinion on why something sucks, and why you'd never playing something, thats great! good for you! i love people who form their own opinions, but please ... please, spare me the lecture as i have to go through 80,000 other people expressing their unique and very different opinion as well, i'm all for people giving their review on something but sithing through the muck of all the over-preeched plusses and minuses of a game is becoming over kill.

if you don't like it, you don't like it, and if you do theres no reason to defend it for anything else other then false facts provided

alot of people aren't going to like the Wii, and alot of people are, argueing if they are a kid or not is worthless, its an opinion formed and should be respected as much

someone says nothing can beat Halo 8vs8 is in the same condition, just because you think theres something better thats still your opinion, in his opinion he loves it and it should stay the same.

Great Post, i said everyone has right their thoughts on things, i happen to love halo and halo 2, (halo 1 for multi player) and nothing is more fun than having 16 people tring to kill you at once
:D

Trimlock said:

Actually, when he says "nothing beats Halo 8v8" he is not stating it as an opinion, he is stating it as fact. Stated as an opinion that would read more like "Halo 8v8 is very fun" or "in my opinion there is nothing better than Halo 8v8". Those are opinions, he stated it as a fact, lending himself to be corrected by the numerous people that don't believe that to be a fact.

As a matter of fact (no pun intended) in any case where anybody says that one thing is better than a similiar thing the comparison is inherently qualitative and not quantitative, rendering the argument irrelevant.

Ok people, if you don't have anything more constructive to say than "zomg nintendo is teh sux" then don't post at all.

pandora's box said:
yeah once i saw that controller i gave up on the wii.

okay you obviously have read NOTHING about the Wii.

For one, you dont have to swing it around like a mad man.
second, you can buy a regular controller for it.

MrGuvernment said:
okay you obviously have read NOTHING about the Wii.

For one, you dont have to swing it around like a mad man.
second, you can buy a regular controller for it.
I have read many reviews, i do think it is kinda cool it can sence motion..
but it would be very wierd getting use to

nintendo is le r0x? ra'rly :D

Actually, when he says "nothing beats Halo 8v8" he is not stating it as an opinion, he is stating it as fact. Stated as an opinion that would read more like "Halo 8v8 is very fun" or "in my opinion there is nothing better than Halo 8v8". Those are opinions, he stated it as a fact, lending himself to be corrected by the numerous people that don't believe that to be a fact.

i think you are reading too much into it, its a bit of slang, take it for how hes saying it, out of excitement and to himself, nothing beats halo 8vs8, to me halo is definetly fun, i love the link up feature of the xbox, i wonder if the Wii will be able to link up to other Wii's via wi-fi... (man i totally wandered off of the subject in less then a line...)

man that would be sweet! SSB's with 8 players on the ultimate level with out having to hook anything up, other then the power cord and the TV

either way i highly doubt he was trying to subject his opinion as a fact that there is no game in any circumstances that would beat the game Halo 8vs8, wether it be a wrestling match, game of ping pong, or maybe foot ball (well if it was football maybe halo...)

Trimlock said:
nintendo is le r0x? ra'rly :D

i think you are reading too much into it, its a bit of slang, take it for how hes saying it, out of excitement and to himself, nothing beats halo 8vs8, to me halo is definetly fun, i love the link up feature of the xbox, i wonder if the Wii will be able to link up to other Wii's via wi-fi...

man that would be sweet! SSB's with 8 players on the ultimate level with out having to hook anything up, other then the power cord and the TV

either way i highly doubt he was trying to subject his opinion as a fact that there is no game in any circumstances that would beat the game Halo 8vs8, wether it be a wrestling match, game of ping pong, or maybe foot ball (well if it was football maybe halo...)
You bring up a great point, in all the articles i have read it has said nothing about linking up with other Wii's. So i am not sure if you will have the ability to that or not. And my commits were opions that's all, i always say that, like nothing beats Zelda for N64, ... ect
:p

LeviathanZERO said:

Well, i dont think the Wii counts as next gen. So if you buy one you are basically sitting next gen out.

360 is not a ripoff. Apparently you have yet to play one. the XBL features alone make the 360 the top dog atm. Jury is still out on PS3, im not believing anything i hear/see until its out. (but i still plan on buying it release day).

Also, I want a system that will take advantage of the latest and greatest hardware.

I agree. I need to have a system that offers the latest in graphics despite never upping the ante on gameplay. I don't mind paying double the amount every 4 years for the new system. If it doesn't support my 70" 1080P HDTV, then that console has no business as a part of my entertainment system. :D

MarvynDT said:
I agree. I need to have a system that offers the latest in graphics despite never upping the ante on gameplay. I don't mind paying double the amount every 4 years for the new system. If it doesn't support my 70" 1080P HDTV, then that console has no business as a part of my entertainment system. :D
70", :mad: Thought my 65" was nice :p

As a matter of fact (no pun intended) in any case where anybody says that one thing is better than a similiar thing the comparison is inherently qualitative and not quantitative, rendering the argument irrelevant.
Do you find sitting painful with that huge stick up your ass? I could say Superman64 was the best game ever made, but no matter how I say it, it is and forever will be only an *opinion*. If you take the comment of some random phanboi like that then perhaps the internet isn't the place for you...

Karafias said:
Do you find sitting painful with that huge stick up your ass? I could say Superman64 was the best game ever made, but no matter how I say it, it is and forever will be only an *opinion*. If you take the comment of some random phanboi like that then perhaps the internet isn't the place for you...

Best post i've seen today :cool:

CodeX said:
Thats too bad, Nintendo makes the best games

CodeX said:

The irony...

I need to make some things clear.

1) The Wii is about 2-3 times more powerful than a GC.
2) The Wii IS nextgen hardware PERIOD.
3) The Legend of Zelda for the SNES is THE greatest single player game of all time / Secret of Mana is THE greatest Multiplayer game of all time. (# 3 is obviously an opinion)

THANKS FOR POSTING THE ARTICLE, TRIMLOCK. IT WAS AN INTERESTING READ. I LIKE HOW THEY GOT THROUGH THE ARTICLE WITHOUT TAKING CHEAP SHOTS AT THE OTHER CONSOLES.

pandora's box said:
yeah once i saw that controller i gave up on the wii.
Given Nintendo's long string of failed controller technologies, no sane person should give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

MonkeyShave said:
Given Nintendo's long string of failed controller technologies, no sane person should give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

As well as a long string of great controller technologies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back