CMS, cant decide

bob

2[H]4U
Me and a few people have been looking to get a site together, its been nearly 10 years since ive done anything. I still know enough html to barely get by, but what im trying to do is making me look toward a CMS.

Ive tried mambo, one thing I greatly dislike about it, and some other websites running CMS, is a fixed webpage size. Ideally, I would like to be able to sit down on a 21" CRT and have the page render to fit the browser window, and then use a 12" CRT with 640x480, and have everything fit in the window.

Can anyone reccomend some kind of CMS (free) which is good? Ive been reccomended to look into Drupal, and PhpNuke. There must be at least 50 avalible, and Id rather not spend 2-3 hours on each "trying" ever last one.

I hear good things about php-fusion - http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/news.php - the community support is great. SirViro is starting to set up an affiliate site with it - www.spoklangamers.net - to support our "online" community that is growing. Most of the themes I've seen are scalable and will fill your window.

My church's site is done in Joomla! - pretty straight forward.

I've dabbled in php-nuke over at www.gofig.us - just a hobby site that another grumpy old fart and I are toying with, we are likely going to strip it down and go with php-fusion.

I'm not an expert by far, but that's what I've worked with.

Peace,
Tim

bob said:
Me and a few people have been looking to get a site together, its been nearly 10 years since ive done anything. I still know enough html to barely get by, but what im trying to do is making me look toward a CMS.

Ive tried mambo, one thing I greatly dislike about it, and some other websites running CMS, is a fixed webpage size. Ideally, I would like to be able to sit down on a 21" CRT and have the page render to fit the browser window, and then use a 12" CRT with 640x480, and have everything fit in the window.

Can anyone reccomend some kind of CMS (free) which is good? Ive been reccomended to look into Drupal, and PhpNuke. There must be at least 50 avalible, and Id rather not spend 2-3 hours on each "trying" ever last one.

The width of the page has nothing to do with Mambo. It has everything to do with the theme Mambo is running, which you provide it. That is likely a custom template package you develop (using html, cms, etc) or one you download. there are a ton of free and commercial templates out there that plug right into mambo.

This site is run with Mambo and has a liquid layout. Also to note, the website reviews open source cms, forum, and blog software... seems like a good spot for you to visit.

As far as my opinion, you can't beat Joomla! (Mambo's fork) or Drupal. Both are great free CMS's that are heavily developed.

Joomla, Phpnuke, Drupal... Ill give those a try, see how things go.

Back