CMOS / Battery - Quick Questions

FenFox

Limp Gawd
So I want to reset my CMOS and possibly replace the CMOS battery. My motherboard manual is a bit vague.

How do I safely remove the battery without damaging the motherboard? The manual doesn't say. And where would be a good place to buy a new one? Also, it says to use a metal screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. I assume I do this with the computer turned off, though I've heard people say you should be touching while you boot which I'd think that's something you shouldn't do. I think I touch the two pins indicated by the green arrows?

uruoyYF.jpg

flat head screw driver, push the metal tab back and the battery should pop out.. as far as where to buy one not sure, haven't had to replace a cmos battery since socket A days.

the clr cmos is just for if you have a failed bios setting and can't boot to change it so you'd short those two pins to default the bios.

flat head screw driver, push the metal tab back and the battery should pop out.. as far as where to buy one not sure, haven't had to replace a cmos battery since socket A days.

the clr cmos is just for if you have a failed bios setting and can't boot to change it so you'd short those two pins to default the bios.

Ok, so to confirm, I can reset the CMOS/BIOS from either removing the battery for a minute (when the computer is off) then putting it back in then powering on. Or I can touch the two pins next to "CS" with a screw driver for like 15 seconds and that will also reset the CMOS/BIOS?

Do I need to wear an anti-static wrist wrap when removing the battery or fine to just touch my metal case beforehand?

Only need to touch it while it off. never seen a computer where you had to do it on boot.

btw why are you changing the battery? i see tons of ppl replacing the battery for absolut horrible wrong reason. just wanting make sure yuors is actualyl because you are lossing you cmos settings when you pull the cable.
if its a boot/post related issues. dont bother. you battery has siltch to do with that. youcan post/boot even without a battery ( unless you bios is weird)

Ok, so to confirm, I can reset the CMOS/BIOS from either removing the battery for a minute (when the computer is off) then putting it back in then powering on. Or I can touch the two pins next to "CS" with a screw driver for like 15 seconds and that will also reset the CMOS/BIOS?

Do I need to wear an anti-static wrist wrap when removing the battery or fine to just touch my metal case beforehand?

i'd just do what sven said, you can reset it by pulling the battery and unplugging the psu then holding the power button for 30-40 seconds but the jumper is way easier.

If you do end up taking it out you can get a simple voltmeter and see if it's good. 3V is ideal but they work fine even around 2.5V

Put down your purse and just turn off the PC and touch the two pins together with something metal like a small flat-head screwdriver.

You can buy a CR2032 at most retail places like Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and so on.

I bought a ten-pack of CMOS batteries brand new on eBay for like $3 shipped.

Also unless you’re experiencing some kind of instability or loss of settings, why touch it?

Also, you don’t need to touch jumpers or “hold the power button” or any one that BS. Just remove the battery for 5-10 seconds and put it back in.

EDIT: I know everyone says CMOS batteries never go bad and they’ve worked on “hundreds of computers and never seen a bad one” but I just had one go bad a month ago.

I bought a ten-pack of CMOS batteries brand new on eBay for like $3 shipped.

Also unless you’re experiencing some kind of instability or loss of settings, why touch it?

Also, you don’t need to touch jumpers or “hold the power button” or any one that BS. Just remove the battery for 5-10 seconds and put it back in.

EDIT: I know everyone says CMOS batteries never go bad and they’ve worked on “hundreds of computers and never seen a bad one” but I just had one go bad a month ago.
That is almost half what I paid for 10-pack of Energizer lithiums at Amazon. CMOS batteries do go bad. Needed a batch with all the nForce2 board I have been fiddling with lately. Replaced ones in my car key FOBs as well.

That is almost half what I paid for 10-pack of Energizer lithiums at Amazon. CMOS batteries do go bad. Needed a batch with all the nForce2 board I have been fiddling with lately. Replaced ones in my car key FOBs as well.

Yep that’s the other thing they’re good for...both of my vehicles use the same batteries for the fobs.

Really, check eBay. Not that it really matters but the ones I bought were Sony.

Back