Cmos battery keeps dying

Ej24

Gawd
So I've got an Asus P9D-I m-itx server board I'm using as the base of my home router/firewall. I got it "new" on ebay. It was in a factory sealed box so I'm pretty sure it's legit. It's been working fine for a year except I noticed the last few times I've lost power that the bios is reset. I tested it myself by throwing the switch on the psu and it did indeed clear the bios. So I replaced the cmos battery. Tested it once or twice by unplugging the psu and it didn't clear. All good. But now a few weeks later the cmos battery appears to be dead again as the bios cleared when I unplugged the psu. What's up with that? Bad battery? Did I mix up the polarity? I've never had a motherboard go through batteries so quickly.

It's worth noting my psu is a generic FSP Group 300w psu that's definitely past its prime. Could an old dying psu be partially to blame? Or is the bios purely powered by the battery?

Otherwise, as far as I can tell the board functions fine. The bios settings are all saved, the clock is correct as long as I don't cut the power to the psu.

Back