C'mon AMD...

ccityinstaller

Supreme [H]ardness
I am really starting to think there is a major issue with RX VEGA and compute loads. I just spent over 70 minutes wiping my blockchain install and trying out the 18.2.2 and then the 18.3.1 releases after reading multiple places that Cryptonight performance has met or exceeded the Blockchain driver from August. Doing this on my gaming rig, fully updated Windows 10 install.

I am not sure what the issue is, but I would love to be able to use my gaming rig for you know, gaming. If AMD can't release a decent driver, they could at least enable the ability to swap between drivers like the VEGA FE cards can do.

/end rant :mad::mad::mad::mad:

we're lucky they've figured out mining drivers at this point. They're terrible with driver development.

Your post is confusing. You complain about spending time with changing drivers for mining on your gaming system and then say you just want to use it for gaming.

For cryptonight the best driver is still the blockchain driver from august. it seems they enabled something from the august driver (rapid pack math?) and disabled it from the 18.x onwards that might cause games to crash? You might want to dual boot? set aside 80GB then install windows 10 (you can install and mine even without license.)

Your post is confusing. You complain about spending time with changing drivers for mining on your gaming system and then say you just want to use it for gaming.

Sorry I was in a hurry and didn't really express myself clearly. I have 2 mining rigs, and my gaming rig which happens to be the system in my sig.

I would love to be able yo game all the time, but I currently have very little free time I can spend on gaming. Mining is a huge hobby that rewards me for the knowledge I have of said hobby. Mining allows me to put to use the $1800+ worth of hardware that would otherwise be sitting idle collecting dust.

I am going to have to go the dual boot option but my point was that I shouldn't have too. I suspect as mentioned above the issue is that AMD really stretched the truth on Rapid Packed Math and how easily they can enable it . The compute driver was simply a way for them to paint VEGA in a better light to make up for it being late and not really performing the way everyone expected it to.

I just feel that for the money I paid, AMF should provide working drivers for ANY OF the compute loads I want to run on the card, be it for gaming or mining or rendering. If they can't somehow keep the performance consistent after 7 months, then they should allow every VEGA owner the ability to switch driver versions on the fly like you can with the FE cards.

VEGA is the only card AMD produces that has this issue, which is rather telling. Every other card works just fine if you flip the toggle from gaming to compute. The toggle they do not GIVE VEGA owners since rthey claim it isn't needed. That is clearly not the case IMO.

you should game on Nvidia and just leave the vega for mining all the time. 4k civ on the vega is pretty glorious though. I'm tempted to get one of the NUCs with the integrated vega when they show up if they're not insanely overpriced.

Wonder how's the new NUC fare on CN :) since it's a full blown vega with it's own HBM2 memory ?

The nintendo switch kept me preoccupied with occasional gaming on R5 2400G decent enough for any Blizzard games (HoTs/SC2/Overwatch/D3) on 1080p.

you should game on Nvidia and just leave the vega for mining all the time. 4k civ on the vega is pretty glorious though. I'm tempted to get one of the NUCs with the integrated vega when they show up if they're not insanely overpriced.

I am actually thinking of getting another card. Just wondering if I will be one of those lucky people that can't get an AMD and Nvidia card to play nice in the same system.

Wonder how's the new NUC fare on CN :) since it's a full blown vega with it's own HBM2 memory ?

The nintendo switch kept me preoccupied with occasional gaming on R5 2400G decent enough for any Blizzard games (HoTs/SC2/Overwatch/D3) on 1080p.

I was actually going to grab a 2400G and OC the crap out of it since I am only really playing RTS games at the moment, but there is no way to run the new drivers needed for the 2400G and still keep the blockchain driver for the main VEGAs.

the 2400G if I recall sucks for cryptonight mining so if its for mining it won't do what you'd expect. If the plan is integrated way for the HBM vega integrated to show up. Both intel and AMD are supposed to be bringing them to market later this month I think.

the 2400G if I recall sucks for cryptonight mining so if its for mining it won't do what you'd expect. If the plan is integrated way for the HBM vega integrated to show up. Both intel and AMD are supposed to be bringing them to market later this month I think.
Sucks big time lol. Tried to force the blockchain driver (and experiment on it) and it just crashed. Without any real memory or HBM2 on 2200/2400G Vegas just can't handle cryptonight. Hmm that's seems interesting hopefully AMD or intel next mainstream integrated GPUs will have the same design

Sucks big time lol. Tried to force the blockchain driver (and experiment on it) and it just crashed. Without any real memory or HBM2 on 2200/2400G Vegas just can't handle cryptonight. Hmm that's seems interesting hopefully AMD or intel next mainstream integrated GPUs will have the same design
specs on the skull canyon replacement are showing 4Gb HBM2 paired with the full blown vega bringing around 1060 performance. There will be heat issues and the overall speeds stock will be lower than a real vega but there's hope for added cooling and overclocking.

Back