CME question(need help right away)

moose517

Gawd
so i bought a router on ebay that claims to have CME loaded on it. I get the router setup and no where in the flash memory is there files for CME such as ringtones or firmware. So i email the person letting them know, they said it was the wrong IOS and sent me c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.T4.bin. I told the person that was fine but i still needed the files for CME to work, he claims they are built in. Am i in the wrong on this or is he just flat out lying? Need to know right away so i can file a dispute.

i have flashed the router to that IOS, but shouldn't the files be stored in flash or am i missing something? like when i show flash all thats listed is the IOS

thank you very much sir. I knew i wasn't stupid, hes just trying to take advantage of people thats all. I'm sending him an email with a link to this thread so that he can see that hes wrong.

A link to this thread? Lol. Why not find something a bit more credible than a random forum.

The files in flash are not required for CME to work. CME is built into IOS. The files in flash serve only two functions:

1. Provides the woefully inadequate GUI interface. It hasn't seen any new development in years. Many of the newest features are not supported. It is basically a complete waste of time.

2. It stores firmware files for the phones. These are not required if your phones already have firmware loaded on them.

In sum, you can run a CME router with only the IOS image in flash and everything will work fine.

what about the ringtones and music on hold files? if i want those do i just need to download some anywhere on the net? My 7940 phone is currently showing SIP in the top right corner, cause i had reset the phone when i got it. is the firmware still on there or did i lose it? i guess i'm confused at this point because following along in the CCNAV book it shows it based on the CME files being placed on there for TFTP

Ringtones and music on hold are not required pieces for the system to work. You can still make calls between phones without either. They are "gee whiz" type things, like ringtones on a cell phone.

If your 7940 says SIP in the corner then it is running SIP software. This will work with SIP CME, but not CME proper, which uses SCCP. You'd need to obtain the 7940 SCCP software. Given the popularity of said phones, finding the files online shouldn't be too much trouble.

Back