CM Storm Sentinel Advanced & Spawn

PoopsMacClaude

Limp Gawd
CM Storm Sentinel Advance: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/sentineladvance/

CM Storm Spawn: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/Spawn/

I'm on my second MX 518 - it's started to produce an annoying electrical noise (bad resistor?) and I figure it's time to switch over to a new mouse. I've stuck with this mouse type since Logitech came out with the MX 500 and then MX 510 to the aformentioned multiple 518s over the course of 8-9 years or so. I did try to switch to a Razer gamer-oriented wheel mouse some time in '05 (Boomslang or something) and hated it. Feel was completely off. I bought it over the internet without trying it since there were no places that showcased Razer products in my area.

The same story goes for these CM mouse products that I'm interested in. I'm not really wanting to make that same mistake, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried these and what there thoughts are (particularly in comparison with the 518 if possible). I've heard of some issues with the sensor in the Sentinel Advanced when concerning mouse lift. Any input would be great.

I have the original Sentinel for well over a year now and I love it. Its nice and big fits my hand well and the software bundle is actually surprisingly easy to you and works well. Only gripe I have with it is you can't turn off the display completely.

My friend and I both bought the sentinel advance last year along with a Ratpadz XT. His sensor came out of the box better than mine. Anytime I lifted the mouse up, even just one edge slightly, it would lose tracking anywhere from .5-1.5 secs. My friends mouse worked perfectly fine for the first month, then slowly started degrading. By 6 months it was as bad as mine was. I have to either use it on my bare desk (wood) or a cloth mousepad. Extremely annoying. BTW I'm still using it, haven't had money to buy something else to replace it.

I would steer clear of it and look for something else.

I have the Sentinel Advance. It has a smaller shape than the MX518, so if you like the MX518, you'll probably find the Sentinel a bit uncomfortable as I did. The mouse also uses a Phillips Twin-eye laser sensor which has issues tracking on certain surfaces and also causes the mouse cursor to jump when the mouse is lifted up. Overall, I recommend against it. It has some nice features, but it gets the basics wrong.

If you're happy with the MX518 and want something similar, I recommend the G500. Ergonomically, it's better than any other mouse I've used, and it doesn't have sensor issues like the Coolermaster mouse.

I hated mine. The sensor sucks because you can't lift off without the cursor jumping 150 or so pixels down and to the right. Mine also didn't track for a fraction of a second after even the slightest liftoff. It was also uneven on the mouse feet, which is incredibly annoying if you use a hard mousepad because the mouse will wobble back and forth.

I cannot recommend this mouse to anybody.

Almost forgot about my time with the G500. Like all my Logitech mice, it just broke after a lot of use. I really love the form of the G500/MX500/10/18. Thanks for the advice about the Philips sensor. I read about that and there are actually some forum threads on it @ CM. Some similar issues for the Spawn as well. Even though I use my desk as my mouse surface I still lift it all the time, so as much as I want to try out something new I will probably steer clear of it for a while, or look elsewhere. Too bad, CM's products really caught my eye.

Almost forgot about my time with the G500. Like all my Logitech mice, it just broke after a lot of use.
Why didn't you contact Logitech's customer service? It's apparently very good and you should be able to get your broken mouse replaced very quickly.

Why didn't you contact Logitech's customer service? It's apparently very good and you should be able to get your broken mouse replaced very quickly.

I should have. The warranty never really occurred to me for some reason. I guess not having a working mouse is something you just instinctively want to rectify right away without jumping through the RMA hoops.

After some more research I went with the Cyborg R.A.T. 7. I think it contains the same infamous sensor, but the features on the mouse were too good to at least no try out. The sniper button on the mouse is something I've wanted for a very long time. If it doesn't work out, I'll let you guys know. Amazon has a pretty good return policy.

I've probably had my Sentinel for about 6 months. I've never had an issue with the cursor jumping when lifting the mouse and I love the feel of it but there are some issues: The laser is extremely sensitive and will freak out if there's a tiny bit of dust on the lens, It doesn't like soft mouse surfaces, and mine has started to lose horizontal movement (I haven't cleaned the lens so there may be a grain of dust in the way).

I think they do , according to what I read in their terms & conditions . The mouse may/may not be subject to import duties and/or taxes , I have no idea . I somehow don't think so though , when I ordered my Kone+ from Medusa USA , it was actually shipped from the UK , & the advertised price plus shipping was all I paid , no import taxes/duties .

Back