CM Stacker, Best CPU Cooler

Tr0j4nM4x1mus

Limp Gawd
Hi, i have a coolermaster stacker 830 and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what the best cpu cooler would be for my case. I dont want to have to remove my fan grid but i dont mind taking out the fan above the cooler if need be. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Well, to superficially answer your question, Thermalright's Ultra 120 is the best heatsink out there, add a 120mm fan ( Scythe Sflex or something ) and you're good.

However, I'm going to go ahead and turn on my brain and let's try a couple questions..and go from the top to the bottom, part D was based on the assumption that you have a Conroe/Allendale/Kentsfield

A) What socket?
B) What processor?
C) Budget?
D) Overclocking? Yes or no?
--1) If yes - heavy or light?
----a) If heavy - refer to above
----b) If light - Arctic Freezer Pro or stock should be good
--2) If no - are you a noise nazi?
----a) If yes - Arctic Freezer Pro should be good
----b) If no - stock cooling is fine

Well, to superficially answer your question, Thermalright's Ultra 120 is the best heatsink out there, add a 120mm fan ( Scythe Sflex or something ) and you're good.

However, I'm going to go ahead and turn on my brain and let's try a couple questions..and go from the top to the bottom, part D was based on the assumption that you have a Conroe/Allendale/Kentsfield

A) What socket?
B) What processor?
C) Budget?
D) Overclocking? Yes or no?
--1) If yes - heavy or light?
----a) If heavy - refer to above
----b) If light - Arctic Freezer Pro or stock should be good
--2) If no - are you a noise nazi?
----a) If yes - Arctic Freezer Pro should be good
----b) If no - stock cooling is fine

A) LGA 775
B) E6850
C) Not a budget as long as its air, i dont know about thermoelectric either for size problems
D. Yes, heavy, not a noise nazi

And just to clarify i really like the thermalright but my dilemma was that i think i would have to remove my fan grid in my case and i'm trying to stay away from that. So i'm not entirely sure if a tower cooler will fit or not.

Thanks for your help and sorry i forgot to mention that stuff...

It's all good about forgetting that stuff, at least you answered the questions. :D Most people seem to just answer the first question I write :confused: it's like they can't read past the first line or something.

hm, that sounds like it would be hard to get dimensions or anything for. Maybe someone with the case can pop in here with input...but beyond the towers, you can do the venerable XP-120 from Thermalright? Enzotech's Ultra isn't quite a tower cooler either and I heard it performs decently...but yeah, that's a tricky dilemma. I'm fairly certain that the towers are not all actually that big, but at the sametime I don't know where this fan grid is.. ><

edit: Found a review, I see what you're talking about... Let me see if I can find dimensions for that or at least the height dimension..

edit2: wait a second, you have the thing, how much clearance do you have?

edit3: well, if you can measure it out, you can also check the heights of all the coolers as well.. Ultra 120 is too big, from there the Tuniq tower is 5mm shorter..

Just wondering, can I install 120X120X38mm fans in the back and front? They specifically mentioned about 120X25mm fans.

Also, why is there only 1 "blow hole (top exhaust fan)"? With four fans (assuming its the 220CFM delta fans) blasting at the motherboard, shouldn't there be at least 2 fans parallel to the side fans? I mean, there might be a positive pressure in there...

This is only my reasoning, so I may be wrong. Anyone agrees with me?:D

You can fit a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/ the 4side fan mounts if you remove one of the fans. However, this may not always be the case if your socket is placed differently than most standard boards. An Enzotech Ultra-X and Ultima 90 (90mm fan) should fit no problem with 4 side fans mounted.

If you are plaining to mount that in the back of your fan case will not work. Because you fan case for the stacker will not close. I have the same case and a water tank just like that. Also look at the water block side connections, they may not fit with some of the newer MB's I know I had to get one with 90 turn outs for the Striker Extreme because of the heat pipes for the NB and SB.

Hi, i have a coolermaster stacker 830 and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what the best cpu cooler would be for my case. I dont want to have to remove my fan grid but i dont mind taking out the fan above the cooler if need be. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

alot depends on the motherboard you are using( the motherboard will decide what heatsink you can use) I have the stacker case and with a 939 socket mobo I use the thermalright SI128 and have no problems with clearance with the side fan bracket, check the thermalright website for the size of the SI128, you do not want to go any taller than this models specs, I run mine without a fan on the upper left spot where the heatsink is, I could if I wanted to however I feel it would interfere with the heatsink fan and seems to perform better without a fan in this portion of the fan bracket where the heatsink fan is located . I just use the bottom two slots of the side fan bracket. for both the heatsink and the side fan bracket USE GOOD AFTERMARKET FANS, dont use the crappy ones that coolermaster included with the case.

I recommend Scythe s flex 86cfm 120mm fans and panasonic/nmb fans with similar cfm, very good fluid dynamic bearings, much quieter than other fans.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 being the "best air cooler" is really funny.

My Thermaltake Big Typhoon kicks it's butt.

I looked at the neoseeker review of the Ultra 120.

On "load" with CPUBurn-in (only uses 1 core), they got 45c on a stock FX-60. (2.6Ghz)

Just for fun.. I tried CPUBurn-in on my decapped Opty 175 that is clocked to 2.85Ghz @ 1.7v and am getting a max temp of 40c.

With Orthos loading both cores it only gets up to 50c.

I dunno why everybody loves the Thermalright Unit so much.. it really isn't that good at all.

On "load" with CPUBurn-in (only uses 1 core), they got 45c on a stock FX-60. (2.6Ghz)

Just for fun.. I tried CPUBurn-in on my decapped Opty 175 that is clocked to 2.85Ghz @ 1.7v and am getting a max temp of 40c.

I dunno why everybody loves the Thermalright Unit so much.. it really isn't that good at all.
What were your ambient temperatures? How'd you measure your temperatures?

I bet your results weren't actually obtained via the same methods as neoseeker.

Plus, I think I trust Xbitlabs a little more. ;)

We're talking about the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, not the Thermalright Ultra 120.

I'm sure it will do well, but not like how you say it would.

What is your ambient temp? What are you using to measure the temps? What fans speed are you using?

Yeah like considering a stock processor to a unlid processor is fair.

Compare to the extreme, well see how well it does.

Oh crap, I didn't even notice the neoseeker build was with the vanilla ultra 120. ><

The Extreme has 6 heat pipes.. just like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon does.

The fan I am using runs at 1980rpm (Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX fan).

The reason my Opty is delidded is because is had very poor contact from the factory... the cores were at least 10c apart under load. Lapping the heatsink and the IHS only gained me 3c.

It ran a lot hotter than normal at stock speeds. Delidding it dropped the temp by 15c and brought the core temps within 3-5c of each other under load.

The 3700+ I had before it never had problems like that.

Yeah i'm gonna go back on what i said earlier and i'm gonna remove my fan grid. I'm thinkin that its not really doing a whole lot of good and its limiting my upgradability. And plus one of my snaps on it already broke off which sucks so yeah i think i'm gonna take it out.

Back