CM QuickFire PS/2 Troubleshoot

OrangeWolf

Gawd
I recently purchased a Tenkeyless CM Storm QuickFire with Brown Cherry MX switches. I love the feel of the keyboard and am generally quite pleased with it for being my first Cherry MX keyboard (especially for $78 new).

But I can't see to get my computer to recognize it when it's plugged into the PS/2 port. I've been using it so far in a USB slot but I'd rather put it in the PS/2 and keep the USB free for various reasons.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. It might be my computer (one of my USB ports on the front of the machine doesn't work well anymore either and I am also at a loss as to how to troubleshoot that -- this is my first build). I also don't have anything else that I know is designed to work with a PS/2 port (my old keyboard didn't come with a PS/2 adapter, but could I still use that to check the port anyway if I used the adapter I have now?).

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm hoping I can sort it out, or at least determine that the problem isn't with the keyboard somehow, in a few days before I leave town.

Well, there you go.

USB FTW!

Seriously, it is a common problem with PS/2 keyboard modern motherboard ports. I suspect power but others think it is a clock timing issue.

I'd link to a Geekhack wiki with database of motherboards and possible fixes but it got R00TW0RMed.

Well, I'd rather use it via PS/2 to keep the USB port free as I said (especially as I already have one USB port that isn't working right, which I also need to troubleshoot). Plus I think the NKRO works via PS/2?

But yes, glad it had the USB option at least. :)

There are so many USB ports on many motherboards these days that I wouldn't think using one would be a huge deal. Some PS/2 ports are problematic on newer motherboards. The reasons probably vary a lot from power, to clock timing issues, firmware and more. I've noticed the combination PS/2 keyboard / mouse ports are the WORST.

Back