• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CM HAF XM Size Comparison

014

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
193
I have the original 932 and totally like it. I've had it for about three years. My daughter has a bit of a hand-me-down PC that I've upgraded piece by piece. She has a mid-tower Antec case that is made of decent material, but I'd like to upgrade someday. It has poor airflow. The case used to be my dad's and he had a few component failures that happened sooner than they should have. My suspicion is heat. Anyway, since I like my HAF 932 a lot but my daughter only has one hard drive and a smaller desk, I have my eye on the HAF XM. I'm confused about the dimensions. When I compare them to the 932 or the full-size X, the XM isn't much smaller. It's like, an inch shorter. Really?! How does one inch shorter than my monster case make it a mid-tower? My case is so huge that I'd still call it a full tower if it was an inch shorter! I even plugged the dimensions into this sizing aid site and the XM was barely smaller than the 932 or the X. Am I doing something wrong?
 
Well going by the measurements on newegg they are very close in size. So I don't think your wrong.
I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between a Full vs Mid towers.
I know a 932 and the X are basically the same frame with just different plastic snapped to them.
 
Well going by the measurements on newegg they are very close in size. So I don't think your wrong.
I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between a Full vs Mid towers.
I know a 932 and the X are basically the same frame with just different plastic snapped to them.

The difference is the fan shroud. The XM is a lot shorter than the X. I have built machines on both and the X looks and feels gigantic. The XM seems like a weird midget to it. Its deeper (front to back) than both, and actually deeper than tall. Its as wide as an X, which is basically the same as a 932. Just about 4 inches shorter. 2 inches shorter than a 932. The dimensions are screwed up on Neweggs site. The XM has the hieght last but the 932 and X have the height first. It's also internally designed more as a mid tower. Part of it's size is the fact that is supports the same size top fans that sit outside the chasis but under a shroud that the X does, taking up a much larger portion of the size of the computer than the X. Something the 932 is missing altogether. The XM really is more of a tall mid tower than a full tower, but spec wise it doesn't show. I think it is something that has to be seen. Maybe there is a reviewer nice enough to line them up together.

As for the use case you are looking for. Just it's depth alone. I wouldn't recommend it, its still a burly beast, just more of a baby X which is gigantic in it's own right. If you are truly looking at a smaller case look at the 922 advanced. Best way to put it is if you put the XM on it's back its as tall as the 932.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Topweasel. That was very helpful. I wanted to go the 922 Advanced route to begin with but couldn't find it on Amazon. I don't remember if I looked on Newegg or not. That's why I started looking at the XM. Again, great information. Thanks.
 
Back
Top