CM HAF X @ MC 159.99 No Rebate Not just B&M

T3ch

Limp Gawd
Microcenter has the Cooler Master HAF X for 159.99 + Tax - No Rebate and NOT just Brick and Mortar :eek: (like their famous $200 I-7 920 & then 930 Deal.)

I offer this as my first hot deal because I have never seen it below 179.99 + shipping and owe the [H] and members for all the hot deals I have bought refered from here.:D

While I happen to live an hour away from a MC I will drive to go grab one to save the $17 STD shipping and wait in the mail. But I did configure it by mail and confirmed it was still 159.99 as well. I pulled the trigger and called to confirm mine was processed so 6 left in the Denver location($12.35 .tax in case you are in the neighborhood) I also confirmed with the rep the sale started today and goes as long as inventory does , with two trucks a week due in stock will fluctuate.

MC deal: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0338051

New Egg for reviews and pix:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&cm_re=HAF_X-_-11-119-225-_-Product

Cooler Master site for the undiluted Kool-Aid: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2988

Last edited:
I might have to pick another up for the GF... it would be nice to be able to quickswap HDDs.

Ordovician,

Are they truely hot swappable, and you have tried it on multiple drives types/brands? (Considering it is a given not to yank a drive while being accessed) I heard someone who had issues say they contacted Coolermaster who told him to put Windows 7 in sleep mode before swapping drives? Seems counter intuitive and self defeating to the term "hot swap"

I suppose it is only fair to also reference New Eggs Hot deal for $179 w/free shipping posted in this same thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582762

That pretty much matches the MC deal. (sans tax, depending on your regional considerations of tax from the Egg or from a local MC etc etc.)

I gotta admit I am pleasantly surprised by the lack of flames due to anyone protesting this is not a hot deal due to tax in their area, shipping, or just not hot due to not liking the case itself...must be the weather or people not willing to test mods with itchy ban hammers. ;)

Ordovician,

Are they truely hot swappable, and you have tried it on multiple drives types/brands? (Considering it is a given not to yank a drive while being accessed) I heard someone who had issues say they contacted Coolermaster who told him to put Windows 7 in sleep mode before swapping drives? Seems counter intuitive and self defeating to the term "hot swap"

*shrugs* I haven't tried hotswapping. I would imagine it totally depends on your motherboard and SATA controller. Still, it's not that big of a deal to shut down.

Can anyone make a convincing argument over this instead of say the RV02?

I wish i could have went for this case but my desk setup only allows a mid tower. At this price it's hard to pass up for those that can fit it.

this is a good deal for a great case. xactactx - yes, but i wont (its pizza time). they're nearly the same, you just need to compare the feature set, layout, and exterior aesthetics and see which is right for you and your hardware setup. cant speak for the SS as ive never worked with one, but the build quality of my 932 is excellent.

if you need room for water and like the look, this is a no-brainer...

*shrugs* I haven't tried hotswapping. I would imagine it totally depends on your motherboard and SATA controller. Still, it's not that big of a deal to shut down.
True, but I am spoiled working with servers where you yank and drop a drive at will. Hot swapping is pretty convenient for troubleshooting friends/ relatives PC's (something I am pretty sure most of us have to trudge through on a regular basis) or running back ups of images or data to be completely air gaped, out of the host/ off the network separated . Not that using external adapters are that slow but speeding up these processes is always appealing.:)

I picked one of these up just the other day and I love it except for the fact the included standoffs are wierd and you have to use finer thread screws (included but still annoying since I figured it would be normal like every other case). Its nice and massive too. Plenty of room in it for anything you can put in it.

True, but I am spoiled working with servers where you yank and drop a drive at will. Hot swapping is pretty convenient for troubleshooting friends/ relatives PC's (something I am pretty sure most of us have to trudge through on a regular basis) or running back ups of images or data to be completely air gaped, out of the host/ off the network separated . Not that using external adapters are that slow but speeding up these processes is always appealing.:)

The hard drives screw into metal trays which are then removable.

The hard drives screw into metal trays which are then removable.

Doh! Of course a drive would need a sled attached to make it fit the bay properly; I skipped over that little fact while theorizing uses. I guess for the quickest swapping a external drive dock may still be the best solution .This would still work for my archive purposes as long as I left the sled attached.

If I were to leave the C: mapped to a swap bay this could still work for a Test/ LAB OS when working a possibly nasty infected drive for someone using the horse power of the main rig…unplug the network cable, remove the day to day OS Drive from C: Slapping a test/Lab OS loaded with all the goodies on it, then connect the suspect drive with no chances of cross infection to the main OS or across the network. Beats a KVM and a weaker test rig, or a VM with allocated resources me thinks.

Are the stock fans really as bad as some people say? I've been debating pulling the trigger, but having to spend an additional $50 for some decent airflow seems like kind of a deal killer.

I did a lot of reading up on the case, so to save anyone else the trouble I'll just list the cons here:

-Garbage fans
-Garbage wheels
-Two fans are not included (although if they were you'd probably replace them anyways)
-Excessive amount of plastic, considering the price
-PSU filter is not removable
-The back plate isn't compatible with 1155 boards
-The USB 3.0 connectors = extensions
-If you decide to get a 2nd 200mm fan, it makes the front panel connections very... problematic.
-The very largest size of radiators apparently don't fit

None of these cons really bug me except for the fan thing, since I'm on a fairly limited budget

Last edited:
Well they did mention in the newegg video that the USB 3.0 connectors in front required the extension because its there to move the ports on you motherboard up front for better access.

IMO if you're on a budget this may not be a good starting point ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

IMO if you're on a budget this may not be a good starting point ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

It isn't really a starting point, I've recently upgraded everything except for my case - which is the reason I have no money left :p I don't particularly *need* a new case, but my crappy little antec 900 is now cramped beyond belief.

Back