Cluster or just lots of machines?

kamilyon

n00b
If any of you are living in northern NJ around Passaic County or along route 22 to Somerset County. I would like to try and come by to pick up some of those computers (or parts).

Yeah I'll definitely paypal you some bones for some pci video or pci nic cards, especially if they happen to be of the red or blue variety like so many of the ones that I seem to scavenge.

I think it was aopen (the number on one of my few is AON-201) that made blue nic cards.

I swear these things are a good score for case modding :)

but anyway yeah any blue OR red pci vid or pci nic cards ill definitely be in line for :)

If Stanford released a SMP version of the client, there would probably be a way to utilize those old machines as a cluster (Beowulf or something), all working together on a single WU...

donate them to a school for the blind? they wont notice them running slow at all.

All kidding aside it would be cool to do the same thing that Stanford does. setup one computer to get the work unit and split it between 50 P200MMX's you cant tell me that each CPU couldnt crunch 2% of the WU very quickly.

Ah well, the dreams of an insane individual....

Kroz

Originally posted by BrianTaylor
Ive been trying to think of a cool project to do with the 100 or so Pentium class CPU's. They have the ceramic casing so maybe I could build my own little space shuttle and use those for the heat shield.

Brian Taylor

Take the cpu's to the shop class and have them make keychains out of them. Then you can hand them out as some kind of incentive award or something. :D

Let us know about the extra parts, I would be happy to paypal you for some of the drives. (I seem to be going through a lot of them lately.:()

T-3

Back