• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Clueless On What's Wrong With This Recently Built PC?

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
4,172
The issue: The monitor simply won't turn green (on) or display anything. Everything seems to run (fans spin everywhere, sign FF shows up) but nothing responds.

The system:

Antec 550W TruePower II
EVGA NF41 Motherboard
Athlon X2 3800+
G.Skill 2 GB PC-3200 (2-3-2-5) Dual Channel
EVGA GeForce 7800 GT
Maxtor MaXLine III 250 GB SATA2
Audigy 2 Value Card
NEC ND-3550A

Large picture:

computer7em.jpg


I marked the pictures with red boxes and numbers.

1) AUX 12V. There is no Aux connector on the Antec 550W TPII PSU except with the 24 pin connector. I'm not sure if there's a requirement to put another 12V AUX connector.
2) Ok I forgot to put in 2. :(
3) The 24 Pin. It's all connected.
4) I put in the 6 pin AUX to the 7800 GT.
5) It's all properly connected.
6) What is that for? Could not find any documentations on it. And how to use it?
7) FF has been on the moment I press the power on. It doesn't change at all. I think this is a problem.
8) The RAM is in dual channel mode. I tried also with one stick of RAM (Dimm1) but changed nothing.

note, I have disconnected the dvd drive to see if that changes anything. but it doesn't. all the basics are properly connected.

what's going on? thanks.

-J.
 
Your CPU needs power.

And the RAM sticks should go in matching slots (blue-blue, for instance).
 
While Blue - Blue for RAM is what I would agree with, the manual says otherwise. Use Blue - Yellow (DIMM1 and DIMM2) for Dual Channel. I'm not sure what's up with that.

How else do I get more power for the CPU?

-J.
 
GeForceX said:
While Blue - Blue for RAM is what I would agree with, the manual says otherwise. Use Blue - Yellow (DIMM1 and DIMM2) for Dual Channel. I'm not sure what's up with that.

How else do I get more power for the CPU?

-J.
That's not what I read in the manual.

Manual here:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=133-K8-NF41-AX

It clearly states to use 1-3 or 2-4 in red text on page 13.
It also says "*UPDATED* 08/25/2005" so maybe yours just has a typo.

In either case, your CPU needs more power. Your PS has to have the connector. The specs say that it does.
 
The PSU does have the connector (4 pin 12V) but it comes INCLUDED with the 24 pin. It gives the option to detach the 4 pin off to make it a 20 pin and a 4 pin. Is that what you're talking about? Apparently doing that (making it 20 pin and 4 pin) set the motherboard going flashing (alarm) and that's not good.

And I still don't know how else to get more power other than the pin. :)

-J.
 
I dont think that the detachable 4 pin on the 24 pin is supposed to get plugged into the CPU power. Did you try to plug in a 4 pin into #6 and start up the PC? Also, check that the vid card is seated.
 
GeForceX said:
The PSU does have the connector (4 pin 12V) but it comes INCLUDED with the 24 pin. It gives the option to detach the 4 pin off to make it a 20 pin and a 4 pin. Is that what you're talking about? Apparently doing that (making it 20 pin and 4 pin) set the motherboard going flashing (alarm) and that's not good.

And I still don't know how else to get more power other than the pin. :)

-J.
Your PSU should have a 24-pin connector PLUS another 4-pin CPOU connector.
 
Look @ this picture. This is the 480W model, but I'm 100% sure the 550W model has the same thing. See the two 4-pin connectors?
 
Thanks for all the help. Yep, you're right. There was a detachable 8 pin that I overlooked. You could snap it into two and have two power connectors (4 pins). Only except I didn't know that. :) The RAM was put in the right place and it worked. :> Thanks all.

-J.
 
99.9% stable because no benchmarks have been run yet but games and apps run well.

desktop9wu.jpg


-J.
 
Back
Top