Closest forum? VOIP - who do you use?

BB Gun

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to move to VOIP for my home. Anyone here use it, and do who do you use, if you do?

Washington State, USA.

BB

Im assuming your asking about a VoIP Service like Vonage, Packet8, etc.. And not a homebrew setup using Asterisk or something like that right?

I have used Vonage for about 2 years now. So far they have been pretty good. My parents have been using Sunrocket and I also have some freinds that use it.. Last year was a tough one for Sunrocket.. Service stunk untill about December, since then it's been pretty good.

If I had to do it over I would probably do a BYOD (Bring your own device) and get an account with broadvoice.com . You can buy pretty much any old FXS device and configure it to work with any of the BYOD services.

Heres a good resource. As well as their list of Providers.

If your looking for something simple and do NOT want to play around, then look at Vonage, Packet 8, Sunrocket, and even Broadvoice for that matter.

If you want to play around, look up Asterisk, Counterpath X-lite , and look at some of the providers on that list that support BYOD I gave you above.

Didn't even know there was a "roll your own" option. Though I should have figured as much.

A number of people on another forum us vonage and are happy with it. Packet8 is a tad cheaper but I'd never heard of it before I did a search.

Not sure I want to futz with roll your own, but at least I can take a look.

Thanks for the resources.

BB

Back