Cloning Windows System drive from HDD to SSD?

2hundy

Ideally I would like to clone my existing HDD system drive to an SSD and slide the newly cloned SSD into my laptop and have everything working . Is this possible? What software (hopefully free) should I look at?

The HDD is 380G so if I were to get a 400G SSD could I clone them in this manner?

Ideally I would like to clone my existing HDD system drive to an SSD and slide the newly cloned SSD into my laptop and have everything working . Is this possible? What software (hopefully free) should I look at?

The HDD is 380G so if I were to get a 400G SSD could I clone them in this manner?

It's totally doable and easily accomplished by cloning software that at least some manufacturers provide with their SSD. Samsung, for instance, has their "Magician" cloning software that is free for use and download at their site so you can be assured you use the most up to date version. There are all many free for download cloning software alternatives.

BTW, welcome to the forums. do a search regarding cloning and you'll get many forum threads to review.

Hope this helps.

It's also entirely possible to go from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD. I initially did that when I got my first SSD. gparted should be able to cope with that provided I remember correctly.

It goes without saying: BACK YOUR DATA UP FIRST. Run it to a cheap external drive or something.

Back