• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cloning win 8 to bigger hd

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 12, 2000
Messages
1,655
I have an Win 8.1 HP I7 laptop with an SSD 24 GB LG cache drive and a 1TB hdd drive. what I want to do is put a 2 TB drive in place of the 1 TB. However It appears that the SSD and HDD are configured as a RAID 0. If I clone the hdd to the bigger one will the raid recognize the hdd and work? I will be using the hardware cloning in my Sabrent dual dock.
I do have my HP recovery discs I created. I hope to avoid using them if possible.

Thanks for any info.....
 
Have you tried doing a bare metal backup of the system and restoring it to the single drive?
 
I'm not sure, but it sounds like your small SSD is being used as a cache device for the larger spinning disk. Probably using the Intel chipset functions from the z68 and up. If this is the case, you could easily clone the drive and recreate the array. The small SSD is just a cache of the most read stuff from the larger drive. If that is not the case and you have some weird proprietary thing going on, just ignore what I said...
 
If you removed the msata drive, does it still boot into Windows? The drive should be acting as a cache drive. If it works you can do as suggested above, make an image and restore onto the 2TB. Once it's working, expand the volume in Windows.
 
Got it to work! Only had to expand the 2 TB hdd to full size. You have to disable SSD acceleration then reset the SSD to pass through mode. Didn't have to mess with bios or uefi either. Only one question though, before The SSD had only 18.6 of the 24 gb for cache and there was a 4 GB partition formmated as a standard drive. When I reactivated SSD acceleration the whole SSD was used. I also selected maximum performance. Does an SSD used for cache need any over provisioning?
Thanks for Info.....
 
Well, Windows 7/8 put a little recovery like 50MB partition I think, but it can run without it. I personally just make sure its there for Windows but I don't think it hurts anything, but someone else smarter might want to comment.

As for the caching, there are two types, one is performance and the other is like accelerated or something. You most likely had accelerated which is what I recommend to family members but not power users. Accelerated caches items frequently read off the spinning disk, but does no caching of writes. The performance one does caching of writes. Performance is faster but accelerated is safer.
 
Back
Top