Cloning Server Data

voyagerfan99

Weaksauce
Hi all - first post. Wasn't exactly sure where this topic should go.

Anyway....

So I picket up two HP Proliant servers today from a friend (Vroom_skies to be exact). One is currently loaded with Red Hat Linux Enterprise. The other I'm not sure (didn't fire it up, but I'm assuming RH is also installed on there).

Anyway, I need to save the data on the drives. I'm thinking I should just make a backup image of the entire array and when needed, just dump it back on the server.

Thing is, I have no idea what software to use. The arrays use SCSI drives (I don't have a USB adapter bridge for SCSI like I do for IDE/SATA). I tried booting to an Acronis True Image disc, but the boot menu loads and then the video goes kapoot. Can't actually get into True Image. Also tried CloneZilla (to no avail also).

TL-DR Have 2 servers I need to image the arrays of (as a backup). How can I go about doing so?

I should also add that I don't have the login credentials for RH. I asked my friend if he still had it and he's gonna look into it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

Ping your friend for details about OS installed and any RAID array(s) -- you could figure this out on your own, but it may be quicker by asking the previous owner. Try Acronis' server imaging software, as their Home products do not carry all of the RAID/controller card support that the server product does. Knowing what model Proliant would also help.

Edit: PM a mod to move this to "Networking and Security" forum.

Welcome to the forums!

Ping your friend for details about OS installed and any RAID array(s) -- you could figure this out on your own, but it may be quicker by asking the previous owner. Try Acronis' server imaging software, as their Home products do not carry all of the RAID/controller card support that the server product does. Knowing what model Proliant would also help.

Edit: PM a mod to move this to "Networking and Security" forum.

Thanks for the tip. It's a Proliant DL380 G4. I'll look into Acronis server software.

Ghost? or PING?

Not everything always occurs to me the first time, but I'll also look into that.

Also, what kinda array? Raid 5 or just a regular old Raid 1?

Unfortunately I have no idea - I didn't even bother to look. And I won't be able to check for at least another week.

Sorry to be kind of a hanging nail with some information. Servers aren't my main thing. That's why I'm experimenting now :D

Back