Cloning HDD with OS install questions

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Hello,

I recently bought a WD2002FAEX 2TB HDD. I am going to clone my current OS drive onto it. It is Windows 7 64bit Pro Upgrade.

As I understand it, after I am done cloning my to my HDD I must reactivate Windows 7 upon start up from the new drive. Is this correct, and if so, do I need my Windows 7 CD key?

Finally, if my new drive fails for whatever reason, can I go back to my old drive (with the OS still installed), plug it in, and reactivate Windows 7 yet again on that drive?

First off, no, in most cases you do not reactive after cloning a hard drive that is going back into the computer that the OS was activated on.

Reactivation is caused typically by a motherboard change, but can also be caused by other major hardware changes.

Whether or not you need a key is dependent on how you received the OS. If it came pre-installed on a computer by a major manufacturer, you'll never need to reactivate as long as you continue to use a motherboard that they certify for that OS. If you have installed the OS yourself and inputted a CD key, you may need to know the key to reactivate, but often times you are prompted to just reactivate and it will use the key already installed.

Yes, you will be able to go back to the old drive.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep my CD key handy as I installed this OS myself on a part assembled PC.

Having cloned before (Win7) I can tell you you shouldn't have to reactivate.

Back