Cloning an old HD to a larger SSD with partitions

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
I have an old laptop with a 300 GB 5400 rpm HD and I want to clone it to a 500 GB SSD. The old HD has C/D/E partitions.

What software do you recommend and what happens with the partitions? Which partition will it designate the extra space to?

And what USB transfer cable do you recommend on the cheap?

Thanks.

whatever comes with the drive. Samsung magician or whatever its call is only a couple clicks. there's a $12 cable on amazon/egg that will work fine or hook them up to a tower to make it faster.

Macrium Reflect Free

You choose how to size the partitions.

I use Acronis True Image simply because I bought the software several years ago before they went to a subscription service. The Macrium software looks similar to True Image, which uses sliders to adjust the new size of each partition. I'm sure there is a setting to automatically adjust each partition as well.

AFAIK, you can just build the bootable media (USB, optical, etc.) and pretty much have full Acronis TI functionality, no?
The clone function has 3 modes - as is, proportional and manual.

I would recommend Adonis "as is" then extend C: with unallocated space

Check to make sure you're in AHCI mode in bios if not there's a way to switch if you Google

I have used "dd" Linux command and Easus. Both require booting into a separate environment. If you have Windows 7 you can use the backup/restore, but with Windows 10 Microsoft has messed up the System Image process and I wouldn't trust it.

If you do a straight clone, you can always use Disk Management in Windows and extend a partition to the unallocated space.

I have used "dd" Linux command and Easus. Both require booting into a separate environment. If you have Windows 7 you can use the backup/restore, but with Windows 10 Microsoft has messed up the System Image process and I wouldn't trust it.

If you do a straight clone, you can always use Disk Management in Windows and extend a partition to the unallocated space.

I'll give that a try. This laptop has windows 7.

dd really is the straightest way to clone a disk. You can then extend the last partition with the windows tools. If you actually want to change the size of another partition you'll have to use gparted to shuffle partitions around. It can all be done from the gparted live CD/USB.

Back