Cloned to NVMe - Booting Problems

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by brncao, Dec 7, 2019.

1. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

I had cloned my Samsung 840 SSD (Windows 10) to a Samsung 960 EVO.

The BIOS from Asrock Z77 Extreme6 has been flashed to 2.90, which supports NVMe. In the BIOS settings, I have set the NVMe SSD as boot #1. However, the BIOS is not detecting Windows 10 on the 960 SSD. I tried doing bootrec to fix the mbr and what not, but still get the same message "Reboot and select proper boot device."

Any ideas?

2. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

try with one SSD connected

3. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

The 840 SSD boots up fine.

4. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

i would clone the 960 evo than start it up alone. Once your in windows i would then format the 840. not till you are actually in windows would i connect 2 drives at the same time. i have seen too many issues with cloning drives and trying to boot the new and old drive together

5. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

Did you clone the entire device, or just the “C drive”? There’s an EFD partition that contains the boot loader and bcd store that needs to be present on the selected boot device.

(assuming your booting in UEFI mode with a GPT formatted device).

KarsusTG likes this.
  6. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

The entire disk was cloned. 840 is formatted as MBR. Maybe I should convert the 960 to GPT?

7. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

Generally speaking, if the SSD has been fitted back into the same hardware as the original SSD this shouldn't be an issue. Does your motherboard have some form of legacy bios option? Otherwise MBR2GPT.

8. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

what did you clone with? maybe try something else, like backerupper. it always works for me.

9. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I've been using Paragons' Migrate OS to SSD since 2012 and only had 2 issues booting out of probably 200 migrations since.
    It's a paid program though and is part of their Hard Disk Suite now. Was a separate program for $20 a few years back.

Used it a couple of weeks ago to copy my friends OS to a spare SSD, and then I copied it from the spare SSD to this new NVME drive.
    IMG_3844.JPG

10. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

You always buy Samsung SSD's and make use of their free data migration software - Works a treat.

mikedamirault, dvsman and AltTabbins like this.
  11. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

Converting to GPT didn't work. Installing the Samsung NVMe Controller drivers on the 840 and then cloning it didn't do anything.

I used Minitool to clone the disk.

I'll try Samsung's migration tool to see if that works.

EDIT: Samsung's migration tool didn't work. I'll test it on my brother's PC. His mobo is Z97, which supports NVMe natively. If it works on his, then it boils down to my mobo's BIOS having problems supporting NVMe.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Most likely you need to reinstall windows if you want the nvme drive to work.

13. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

The first boot device needs to be Windows Boot Manager. But it sounds like you changed from a SATA device to a PCIE device which means the boot manager probably needs repair.

Disconnect the old device, leaving the new device connected. Boot to the Windows Setup (iso) and on the language screen press next, then in the lower left of the window press Repair your computer ->Troubleshoot ->Advanced -> Startup repair

pendragon1 likes this.
  14. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

^^^ good point, try that.

15. B00nie

The OP said he already used bootrec which IIRC is what startup repair does.

Mazzspeed likes this.
  16. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

Which is about as much as sfc /scannow does. So essentially - Very little. ;)

17. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

There may be other things that it does. It works well and he should absolutely try it.

18. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

I'll have to try this again over the weekend. The plan is to install Windows 10 and/or Linux from a clean slate on the 960 and see how the system responds. We'll see if it's an issue with the BIOS or the boot partition.

B00nie likes this.
  19. B00nie

Just remember to install windows first and then linux if you plan to dual boot. Linux can handle a windows install but a windows setup will delete a linux.

Mazzspeed likes this.
  20. brncao

brncao Limp Gawd

Just to update you guys, the BIOS doesn't support booting from it according to Windows.

21. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

Is this m.2 interface built into the board or is it a m.2 > pcie adapter?