Clock's Dropping on my 8600K

AngeloBJ

Weaksauce
Let me preface this by saying...I haven't OC's a processor since Intel released the Pentium 3, so my knowledge is a little...dated.

I'm running an i5 8600k on an Asrock Z370 Extreme4. I have been planning my first water cooled rig and after reading about modern overclocking, and seeing what others are getting out of the 8600k, I got a wild hair to see how high I could get it to clock on my air cooler. I'm using a Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler with a single 120mm fan(pull).

Rather than start small and work my way up, I tried to cook my processor. 50x clock, 1.34v, LLC5, and the AVX offset at 1(You cant turn it off anymore in the Asrock BIOS). The system booted, no problem at 5Ghz. OCCP and Prime95 were both stable with...higher than I'd like...temps hovering about 85c. It held steady for about 8-10 minutes, then all the sudden, it's like the bottom fell out. Clocks dropped to 4100 and went down from there. I shut it down at about 3950.

My only thought was that the VRM couldnt keep up so I tried to drop the OC in steps. 4.8, 4.6, 4.4, and 4.0. All with the same result. Stable and rock solid for about 10 minutes, them WHAM. Brick wall. Thinking it might be the VRM, I tried to put fan blowing on the VRM, but that did not yield any change in result at any clock.

Can I chalk this up to crappy VRM modules? I know there's some speculation about this board and the VRM.

Maybe I'll pick up a new board. Anyone have a suggestion in that department?

Thanks

UPDATE: After doing some more research, this may be due to the LONG/SHORT Duration Power LImit settings. I'm going to play whit this over the weekend.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying...I haven't OC's a processor since Intel released the Pentium 3, so my knowledge is a little...dated.

I'm running an i5 8600k on an Asrock Z370 Extreme4. I have been planning my first water cooled rig and after reading about modern overclocking, and seeing what others are getting out of the 8600k, I got a wild hair to see how high I could get it to clock on my air cooler. I'm using a Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler with a single 120mm fan(pull).

Rather than start small and work my way up, I tried to cook my processor. 50x clock, 1.34v, LLC5, and the AVX offset at 1(You cant turn it off anymore in the Asrock BIOS). The system booted, no problem at 5Ghz. OCCP and Prime95 were both stable with...higher than I'd like...temps hovering about 85c. It held steady for about 8-10 minutes, then all the sudden, it's like the bottom fell out. Clocks dropped to 4100 and went down from there. I shut it down at about 3950.

My only thought was that the VRM couldnt keep up so I tried to drop the OC in steps. 4.8, 4.6, 4.4, and 4.0. All with the same result. Stable and rock solid for about 10 minutes, them WHAM. Brick wall. Thinking it might be the VRM, I tried to put fan blowing on the VRM, but that did not yield any change in result at any clock.

Can I chalk this up to crappy VRM modules? I know there's some speculation about this board and the VRM.

Maybe I'll pick up a new board. Anyone have a suggestion in that department?

Thanks

UPDATE: After doing some more research, this may be due to the LONG/SHORT Duration Power LImit settings. I'm going to play whit this over the weekend.
use intel XTU to increase your limits, see if that gets you anywhere.

I run fans over my VRM's as even if they don't throttle they run HOT. I'm guessing the Extreme 4 may be slightly less quality VRM vs my Gaming K6 Z370 Asrock, but I haven't researched it.

I would lower your vcore a bit. My preference is to try 1.285v and see how high you can get. 4.7-4.8ghz should be doable. DL coretemp program. If cpu temps go over a certain amount the cpu will throttle. Maybe your other program isn't picking up temps properly.

I would keep that board IMO. Again, try lowering cpu vcore, up VCSSA and one other voltage I cannot recall. Try 4.6ghz first.

Turns out it was the Long/Short Duration. Upped them to 200/250 and WHAMO! Stable clocks all the way up to 5Ghz. I'm a little afraid to go higher because I've got to feed it 1.48v to get that...and I need to go to water because the temps are hitting 85-90c

Turns out it was the Long/Short Duration. Upped them to 200/250 and WHAMO! Stable clocks all the way up to 5Ghz. I'm a little afraid to go higher because I've got to feed it 1.48v to get that...and I need to go to water because the temps are hitting 85-90c
that too much juice for intel and will burn up that chip quickly. max safe daily voltage is 1.4v and you'd want it under water.

that too much juice for intel and will burn up that chip quickly. max safe daily voltage is 1.4v and you'd want it under water.

Ya that's what I was saying. WAY too much powah. Odd...but that's what it took. So I turned it down to a respectable level.

Back