• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Clock speed scaling effect on video encoding?

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
1,126
I currently have an E6300 at stock speeds and I can't currently overclock it because of my Asrock 775Dual VSTA motherboard. I was just thinking that the most CPU intensive thing I do is probably the occasional video conversion for my ipod and how clock speed would affect this. How well does overclocking scale with these processors on video converting considering a standard 7200 rpm hard drive and 2gb of ddr2. Is there a point where further overclocking doesn't help as much and is mostly regulated to increasing scores in benchmarks?

Also, suppose I am gaming at relatively high resolutions like 1680x1050, at what point would overclocking become pointless? Or is the E6300 not even bottlenecking at this resolution? I'm talking about games like call of duty 4 and crysis or mainly any other FPS.
 
get a real motherboard, you'll be much happier at about 3Ghz.

That chip should at the VERY VERY LEAST do 7x400 = 2.8Ghz.
 
"get a real motherboard"

I'm currently using that board on one of my machines, and it has no trouble with modest overclocks at all. It's based on the p35 chipset, and is a very good match for that processor. If you want to get significantly higher speeds out of that processor, you'll need to buy a board with nearly twice the retail cost. We're talking about a 10-15% improvement in overclock for $100 or so. Decide if this is worth it to you before buying a new board.
 
"get a real motherboard"

I'm currently using that board on one of my machines, and it has no trouble with modest overclocks at all. It's based on the p35 chipset, and is a very good match for that processor. If you want to get significantly higher speeds out of that processor, you'll need to buy a board with nearly twice the retail cost. We're talking about a 10-15% improvement in overclock for $100 or so. Decide if this is worth it to you before buying a new board.

No it not:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-vsta

Chipset
- Northbridge: VIA® PT880 Pro/Ultra
- Southbridge: VIA® VT8237A

Thats the motherboard everyone with nice AGP cards were buying b/c they wanted Core 2 but didn't want to upgrade to PCIe yet. But it also had a PCIe for later.

Anyway, a lot of people couldn't overclock worth a shit on those boards.

Most hit like 300-333FSB, and not too much higher.

And another big problem is... that the people who were buying these boards were on a budget, so they usually bought a cheaper processor too, like the 6300, so they needed 400+ FSB to get a nice overclock. And most $100 P965 boards out back at the same time did that fairly easily. With some hitting 500FSB!

So what board are you talking about? b/c its not the board he was?
 
Back
Top