Clock ratio changes with XMP profile enabled?

therealjustin

Limp Gawd
Is it normal for the clock ratio of my 2600K to change when I enable the XMP profile?

With the latest BIOS(F10) for my Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 the clock ratio jumps from 34x to 38x when I enable the XMP profile. It also happens if I manually adjust the RAM to its native 1600Mhz.

I spoke with Gigabyte yesterday and they told me that it is normal:rolleyes: If it IS normal then why is it only doing it now when I use the newest BIOS? Turbo Boost doesn't seem to work either since all four cores under any amount of load go straight to 3.8Ghz or idle down to 1.6Ghz, nothing in between(or over 3.8). Having posted this exact question on various forums and getting complete silence I hope someone here can help.

BIOS F10

XMP enabled> clock ratio @38 w/ Turbo Boost seemingly not working
RAM manually set to 1600Mhz> clock ratio @38 w/ Turbo Boost seemingly not working

BIOS F5

XMP enabled> clock ratio @34 w/ Turbo Boost acting normally(1core 3.8, 2cores 3.7, etc.)
RAM manually set to 1600Mhz> clock ratio @34 w/ Turbo Boost acting normally(1core 3.8, 2cores 3.7, etc.)

I guess I'm the only one seeing this "feature"?:confused:

Do any of the Asus/ASRock or MSI boards do the same thing? There should be no reason why the CPU would jump to 3.8Ghz just because I set the RAM to 1600Mhz.

I found that my asus P8P67 deluxe also changes the clock to 3.8Ghz when the xmp profile for ram is set to 1600Mhz. I'm an overclock noob so I haven't tried any other settings in the BIOS.

Everything works so I figured that it was just a feature. I'm also still learning about all of this stuff so it would be good to know.

Back