• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Clinic Skulltrail Server

DarthBeavis

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
3,403
This puppy housed in a Danger Den Tower 26.

I am adding legs as the server will sit behind a window in our lobby that separates the lab from the lobby. The wall extends about 10" up the the beginning of the window. I want the clients to have a clear view of the rig.

Attaching the legs with on of my favorite tools . . . .
dsc01490.jpg

Nice and shiny:
dsc01489.jpg

I am picky about screws (do not like Philips prefer socket head for looks) so I buy them in bulk from McMasters:
dsc01492.jpg

The downside is they do not sell them in all the sizes Danger Den uses so I have to cut them down sometimes:
dsc01491.jpg

I also prefer colored fasteners when possible. They I either bought or had powder coated. I hope to buy an anodizing kit this Summer when I can afford it so I can do my own hardware including things like ioplates:
dsc01496o.jpg

Here is the case so far . . . .moving slow today as I am under the weather.
dsc01494k.jpg

dsc01495.jpg
 
awesome. i also plan on anodizing some stuff when i gt the chance this summer. however, to my knowledge it is only possible to anodize aluminum. there may be similar processes you can use for steels but i dont know what they are. anodizing would be great for i/o plates and body panels etc, but i dont think youd be able to do most fasteners since aluminum is soft and isnt a typical fastener material.

build looks AWESOME. will be watching this one. try not to make us wait too long before we get to see some hardware in that thing. :D any idea yet what else is going in?
 
awesome. i also plan on anodizing some stuff when i gt the chance this summer. however, to my knowledge it is only possible to anodize aluminum. there may be similar processes you can use for steels but i dont know what they are. anodizing would be great for i/o plates and body panels etc, but i dont think youd be able to do most fasteners since aluminum is soft and isnt a typical fastener material.

build looks AWESOME. will be watching this one. try not to make us wait too long before we get to see some hardware in that thing. :D any idea yet what else is going in?

Get it power coated.
 
awesome. i also plan on anodizing some stuff when i gt the chance this summer. however, to my knowledge it is only possible to anodize aluminum. there may be similar processes you can use for steels but i dont know what they are. anodizing would be great for i/o plates and body panels etc, but i dont think youd be able to do most fasteners since aluminum is soft and isnt a typical fastener material.

build looks AWESOME. will be watching this one. try not to make us wait too long before we get to see some hardware in that thing. :D any idea yet what else is going in?

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=459
 
My PSU has one side like looks McNasty like an anal fissue (the other sides are nicely air-brushed) so I decided to do a little ghetto mod to it. I will layer mesh over some UV blue that I will bend into an shape to make a new side cover. I will put in some UV leds behind it probably wiring them to the inside of the psu.

First, here is the starting shot:
dsc01501.jpg

After I cut off the offending end:
dsc01502.jpg

Measuring out the mesh:
dsc01503.jpg

Got the mesh on, will redo the C channel to square the top part out later.
dsc01505.jpg

Also need to paint the mesh.
 
are you the IT too? i hate home builts in business =/

Yea I'm usually against them as well. Still an interesting build. Only places I like home builds are at our design firms who want more options(and I'm getting them into dell precisions now), a law firm that doesn't like dell(they have dell servers though), and in some other very specific areas.

If I go home build for a server though I go supermicro.

In this case I guess the client wanted something that stood out. I would hate to have to try to keep those cases clean in an office with as many animals in it as this one will have.
 
For a long time I built custom computers. I have servers and workstations I built for a few Morgage companies and even after years of use, they are still running strong. The Dells they already had needed constant upkeep and hardware replacement. I think DarthBeavis knows what he is doing. He has more experience then most in this forum. Look foward to the final product.
 
My wife and I own the clinic. Thanks for the nice words. I have a fair amount of experience in teh IT field from being a software engineer for a couple Fortune 500 companies to doing custom build projects. This Skulltrail and set of Qx9775s I got directly from Intel for a project I worked on for them. That project is long disassembled so this is just me recycling the hardware and adding a bit more.

I would agree with not having a home build in a business normally but having me as an owner makes it a different proposition.
 
I'm still wondering when you are going to make a fish tank PC. The environment would be appropriate.
 
Looking good! I too dislike homebrew builds in the workplace, as it's easier on me to let Dell tech support them than myself, but in your case, I can see where it is appropriate, just a bit more work on your end.
 
I'm still wondering when you are going to make a fish tank PC. The environment would be appropriate.

I actually did think about making a flourinert immersed rig but I have way too many projects lined up to even think about it. I would like to do something like what you are talking about where the computer would sit in a totally enclosed acrylic housing in teh bottom of the tank and the tank itself would be a bong to passively cool the system.
 
Looking good! I too dislike homebrew builds in the workplace, as it's easier on me to let Dell tech support them than myself, but in your case, I can see where it is appropriate, just a bit more work on your end.

Yes, but then I am a stay-at-home Dad and don't start back at graduate school (and then only part-time) until Fall.
 
I love the previous servers you have show there, they kinda have a very simple tidy look but at the same time very complex

or maybe i've had to much beer
 
Back
Top