Client Box

Toranaga

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
68
Does anyone have suggestions for cheap to moderatly expensive, small clinet boxes.
I want these client boxes to be small and pleasant looking, so it looks nice with regular A/V equiptment, but also capable as a computer. It needs graphics good enough to output component to a HDTV and a processor capable of upscaling DVD's using FFDShow

Any sugestions on boxes would be much appreciated.
 
For one of the more "full featured" client box (6600, Venice 3000+) you're looking at a cost of around or under $800, for something thats alittle more undered powered a s754 system can be put together for around $500 or less. The client box really does depend on the TV thats it's being connected to, for instance you can get away with using one of the new 6150 NV mobos if you're connecting it to something like an ED/SDTV.

Even re-using old parts (AXPs, etc) make for a great client box.
 
all my clients are revamped older PC's. I shopped around the local shops looking for the deals on barebones, machines fresh off of business leases, and refurbs. Then tossed a half decent vid card in. I have a P4 1.8 that cost a total of $200 and does a great job on my SDTV, a P4 2.4 on my projector that is doing very well for a total of $300. my main client was a little mroe because f the video card, but was still aroun $500.

some tips that helped me...

1) client boxes don't need much case space, so save some $$ here. take a look at the AthenaTech Matx cases at newegg. best build quality for a cheap case I have found so far.

2) refurbs refrubs. I check the newegg refurbs at least 3 times a week. you can pick up some solid mobo's for cheap. they are mostly Matx that I have found, but that is fine for a client.

3) build for your TV. don't go building a PC that is more powerful than your TV can use. like don't buy a 6600 for a 19" standard TV. an ATI 9600 or Nvidia 5200 are pefectly fine for Svideo out and cost around $30 if you look hard enough.

4) onboard stuff. hold out for a cheap mobo with everything on board. gigabit LAN, optical out, SATA controllers can all be had on a name brand Matx mobo for $45 if you wait enoguh.
 
What ID said is great advice. I'd add that really tiny cases can be troublesome, especially tiny, very cheap cases. The PSUs are usually horrible and will die very quickly. If they come with any fans they are typically whiney little things that die really soon as well.

If you want to see a horror-story about these type of cases read this article but ignore all of their other advice about building a HTPC.

Mini-tower cases are my personal recommendation. You can get them cheap but sturdy, with the option of an 80 or 92mm fan and a full-size atx PSU. They might not fit in an AV rack quite as well as some of the flashier cases, but you'll be saving yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Mine was a $30 special from my local PCClub store. It's got a nice-ish bezel on the front and I've not cut myself on any sharp edges on the inside. It's about the same size as my sub, so doesn't look too out of place next to the entertainment center.

Also, investing in some good quality fans is a great idea. You don't have to pay for silentx, but pay attention to the noise level (dba) on a few different ones, and learn how to rewire them for 7v (or use speedfan) if they're still too noisy.
 
my Athena came with a sparkle. it's a little loud, but has been stable. airflow is bettert han the other Matx cases I ahve had, apart from the coolermaster atc-620. which is still the best client case I have run across.
 
thank you all for the great advise, it has definetly helped. A few more questions though:
In my room, a mini box works fine, but for the living room, it has to be a horizontal box, any suggestions there?
Also, for IR remotes, do any of these boxes offer good internal places to place an ir reciever?
 
I think the IR receiver would have to be a mod. You could probably mount it in a spare 5.25 bay, or maybe a 3.5 bay depending on the size. A dark-red piece of perspex and some duct-tape would work and qualify as a ghetto-mod :)

As far as horizontal cases, I have no experience. There's a few desktop-style micro-atx cases, but most of the ones I've seen use 60mm fans. You can always just turn a mini-tower on it's side, but would have to put the dvds in sideways, unless you also went with a usb external dvd drive.

An option I've considered in the past is completely hiding the HTPC (or just letting it be a non-descript box on the floor) and having an external usb DVD drive next to my amp, with the usb receiver hidden somewhere near there also. If you found a case that looked a bit like a sub, nobody would ever have to know it was really a htpc.
 
IanG said:
An option I've considered in the past is completely hiding the HTPC (or just letting it be a non-descript box on the floor) and having an external usb DVD drive next to my amp, with the usb receiver hidden somewhere near there also. If you found a case that looked a bit like a sub, nobody would ever have to know it was really a htpc.

that is what I am doing in my car. PC in trunk, USB DVD rom drive mounted in the dash.

as for desktop style cases, most do use 60mm fans, but that isn't the end of the world. you just need to replace the stock ones with some silent ones. no biggie. as for which ones, my favorite is the Coolermaster ATC-620...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooler-Master-A...819902633QQcategoryZ80167QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm, lots of options to think about, thanks to everyone for this great information
 
Toranaga said:
hmm, lots of options to think about, thanks to everyone for this great information

That's why we're here. I love spending other people's money as well. ;)
 
Back
Top