• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

clicking noises

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,194
I have a dell xps gen 2 Laptop with a 80 5400 rpm gig hard drive. it sometimes makes intermittent clicking noises? is it supposted to do that?
 
Well your description is a bit vague, but my 80 gig WD800JB was clicking and I turned HDD S.M.A.R.T. off in my bios and the clicking stopped.
 
this is a hitachi .. does anyone know where to download the.HItachis Feature Tool for the 80gb one?

found the model:

HTS541080G9AT00
 
Well, it depends on the type of clicking noises...

I repair hundreds of IBM ThinkPads's a year, and the most common issue is with hard drives, and one of the primary symptoms is...

Clicking noises. It's the heads trying to seek bad sectors.

Go to the Hitachi site and download their Drive Fitness test.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

If you don't have a floppy, a few scrolls down they have a bootable CD ISO you can download to create a bootable CD.

As always, backup before testing.

-Larry

Nvidia101 said:
I have a dell xps gen 2 Laptop with a 80 5400 rpm gig hard drive. it sometimes makes intermittent clicking noises? is it supposted to do that?
 
Back
Top