• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

Click and freeze

beef

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2003
Messages
152
Hey guys, my C:\ drive sometimes makes one 'click' sound like its switching off, then my computer freezes. Its a WD 80gig SE (ide) that I purchased in April.I ran the WD diagnostic tool and it finds no problem. I 'm thinking maybe a power supply issue? I have an Enermax 460 PS, P4B 2.4, ATI 9700pro, 2x WD 80SE, benq DVD burner, lite-on DVD player, SB aud.2zs, 2x512 DDR 333, Gigabyte 8PE 667 ultra2 mobo, 3 case fans and a floppy drive. Basically, everything is 2.6 yrs old, except for the 2 HD's.Power scheme in windows for the HD's is 'always on', turn off HD's is 'never'.
 
I had a couple WD's awhile back that started off with that sound and eventually died on me. I replaced the PSU, did diskchecks, everything. They just eventually gave out. So I would save that data ASAP on that if you can. :(
 
its the sign of the hd dieing

My old comp does that when certain sectors of the drive is filled up(4 year + WD)
 
You know, if the HD is dying, I am going to be rather angry. The bloody thing is only 4 months old. I guess after the 1st WD went sour after only 2 yrs, I really should have purchased a different brand.
 
Back
Top