Clearning memory cache

rkf76

Limp Gawd
Is there a way to clear your memory cache in Vista? I noticed my memory consumption was at about a gig, which is half of my total memory, when it's normally at about 30%. I restarted my rig and it went back to normal. Is there an easier way to accomplish that?

I don't beleive anyone has come out with anything like that yet for Vista. But, it is supposed to use that much memory.. It is using "super fetch" to cache your most commonly used programs to ram. If you really don't want that just turn super fetch off.. Though I personally prefer the quicker app load times with super fetch running.

at 30% the system has really not cached anything yet. under normal operation you should see around 50 to 60% memory used, till you need that memory for something else other then cache. flushing the cache back down to a began state would defeat the purpose of the cache.

basically don't freak about memory usage it's normal and windows does a nice job flushing memory if you need it for other things.

With default Vista running on the machine in my sig (with 2GB as well), I use on average about 55% of the RAM, running Outlook 2007, sidebar, Trillian.

That's not CACHED RAM, that's just used RAM.
Cached RAM takes up the rest.

Perfectly normal it sounds like to me... But my question to you:

Why do you care? I mean, you are worried about it using half of your RAM? Do you just like to see free RAM sitting there? I just don't understand why people think it is a "bad" thing... Free RAM is wasted RAM.

With default Vista running on the machine in my sig (with 2GB as well), I use on average about 55% of the RAM, running Outlook 2007, sidebar, Trillian.

That's not CACHED RAM, that's just used RAM.
Cached RAM takes up the rest.

Perfectly normal it sounds like to me... But my question to you:

Why do you care? I mean, you are worried about it using half of your RAM? Do you just like to see free RAM sitting there? I just don't understand why people think it is a "bad" thing... Free RAM is wasted RAM.

Yep, I agree.

Unless your complaint is "Vista is too slow because all my RAM is being used, and I know that this RAM usage is definitely the problem", it shouldn't matter at all. Vista can use 100% of my RAM 100% of the time, IF it can provide me generally faster access to all my applications.

Back