• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cleaning up wires from psu

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Messages
1,067
I should be getting my new psu in the mail either today or tomorrow and before I install it i want to fix the wires. I don't have a window, so it's more for ease than anything else. I'm not interested in taking off the molex connectors, so sleeving is out.

Should i just some zip ties and secure all of the wires? Is there anything else that someone recommends?
 
electrical tape. THeres also some sites that have the sleeves for you and all you do is throw them on. I'm not sure where its at though
 
I read in some places that electrical tape will come off after a while and will leave a sticky residue. Is that not true? And wouldn't sleeving the cables with the connectors still on not work?
 
old electrical tape is pure hell
try these instead > http://cableorganizer.com
I favor either the split corrugated Wire Loom
or my favorite Spiral Wrap

you can make spiral wrap either show or hide the wires depending on how tightly and how many turns you take to wrap it
and it can be applied to make the loom fairly rigid as well
sort of "plumbed" to a location with a bias to a certain curveture
I have a bunch of this stuff in basic black

when I do the Corrugated wrap, I generally just use flexible metal hose (basic plumbing) and wack off the end connectors, then mill out the break, but that because I have all that stuff already, would be a pain in the ass for anyone else, hell its still a pain in the ass, but costs me nothing
 
wow...that was exactly the type of thing i am looking for. What size do you recommend for the wire wrap? I might need two sizes...

I am thinking the atx connector gets it's own. the other 12v to the hd's and cd-rom and bay bus all can go together....

then i have a lot of very thin wires running to each fan...

would the atx cables fit inside the 3/8" or should i go for the 1/2"?

Thanks again, this stuff looks like it will help out my case alot!

edit: slightly unrelated, what gauge wire do you guys recommend for making fan tails? (i'm currently using some speaker wire that was lying around the day i make the tails. thanks.
 
bpimmerman said:
wow...that was exactly the type of thing i am looking for. What size do you recommend for the wire wrap? I might need two sizes...

I am thinking the atx connector gets it's own. the other 12v to the hd's and cd-rom and bay bus all can go together....

then i have a lot of very thin wires running to each fan...

would the atx cables fit inside the 3/8" or should i go for the 1/2"?

Thanks again, this stuff looks like it will help out my case alot!

edit: slightly unrelated, what gauge wire do you guys recommend for making fan tails? (i'm currently using some speaker wire that was lying around the day i make the tails. thanks.
the wires should definately fit around 3/8" go for the 1/2" for the mobo powercable though (the 20pin)
the fan tail wire should be like 26 gauge or something thin
 
well, Spiral Wrap expands to deal with larger bundles, of course as you do that the length you have decreases

I have 1\2 inch, and obviously it wont get tighter than the nominal width
 
i think i might go ahead and order 5 ft of each, and experiment. I'll post pics once i have it all together. anyone know where I could get this locally(cleveland)? so that i don't have to wait/pay for shipping?
 
i think Home Depot has the Wire Loom and the Spiral wrap i think i remember seeing it when i was there a few months ago. Even though its more expensive for some reason.
 
Back
Top