Cleaning smudges off an LCD panel, not the glass.

JHFerry

Weaksauce
I was forced to dissemble a diplay to repair. Everything was going fine until I saw a smudge on the panel itself, I guess from moisture or finger prints. I tried cleaning with a micro fiber but it didnt work. I tried breath on it a little and that really made it worse! Anyway, I'd like to get those smudges out. Any ideas? Can you use moisture on a bare panel?

I use a vinegar based cleaning spray.
Spray it on a cloth, quick wipe and its clean.
The vinegar evaporates in seconds.

I use a vinegar based cleaning spray.
Spray it on a cloth, quick wipe and its clean.
The vinegar evaporates in seconds.

Did you like make it yourself or store bought? I imagine it has to be diluted. You put that on the bare panel? Not the glass but the panel inside.

Isopropyl alcohol, commonly found as rubbing alcohol for cheap in any grocery store. The 70% alcohol version is more effective than the 90% version. Reasonably strong cleaner, and it evaporates completely in seconds so it has no time to damage anything.

Ok, I have some 90% but not the 70% kind. I guess I could water it down more.

Yeah, just use the 90% as is. The difference isn't huge. 70% vs 90% is just for when you're in the store wondering which to get.

I use those Zeiss glass cleaning wipes on my Dell's that have the AG coating removed, works great.

I sucked it up and bought the 70% alcohol. As long as you follow it with a dry microfiber it works pretty good mixing it with 50% distilled water.

Back