Cleaning Loop / Coolant Residue?

babelmh13

Limp Gawd
Have an Ek 240 HFX cooling kit. Had it about 10 months now. probably flushed the system and refilled 6 times. The last time was about three months ago and when I drained it yesterday I noticed there is a very noticeable ring in the reservoir and its cloudy throughout the tubes / stained red. I am using Ek- Ekoolant in blood red. I hadnt had the stains look so bad and never had stains in the reservoir before... So my questions are:

-What should I use to clean out the tubes and reservoir (soap and water hasnt removed the stains in reservoir)
-Do most of you use coolant or just distilled water?
-Is anyone using Ekoolant having similar issues?

Thanks

Any coolant will evaporate. Tubes will absorb water, and concentrated rings of additives will build up. I replace my tubing once I get sick of how cloudy it gets. To clean a reservoir, I typically use near boiling water. It should dissolve anything that builds up in the loop.

FWIW, I usually use distilled water only, but I am looking at using a colouring in my next build.

Use hot (not boiling) water, shake vigorously. Repeat a few times. Coolant will stain tubes no matter what you do, so it's inevitable.

Most use distilled. I replace hosing whenever I change water loads.

Best thing for the staining is hot water and vinegar.
Take it completely apart and remove O-ring and keep the away from vinegar.
Let it soak for about and hour then use a rag, do not use anything abrasive.

Once it's clean use distilled water a thoroughly rinse.
The put it all back together and don't forget o-rings.

If there is tough staining that can't be removed by the rag use some wood like a dowel rod they have a nice edge on them to help scrap away the crap.

Tubes there is nothing you can do but replace them.

Back