• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cleaning k/b?

bbs lm-r

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
307
What do you guys do/use to clean your k/b's? More specifically inbetween keys, because for the surface I can just run it over with a wipe or something.

also, is there anything I can use on some areas that have a glossy surface so that they're not such freaking dust magnets?
 
For in-between the keys, I use a Swiffer hand duster. It works okay, never gets all the dust. I think a can of compressed air might do a better job. The only sure fire way to keep a keyboard clean is to use a keyboard skin.
 
For in-between the keys, I use a Swiffer hand duster. It works okay, never gets all the dust. I think a can of compressed air might do a better job. The only sure fire way to keep a keyboard clean is to use a keyboard skin.

^^ I've got all of that down except the skin. I'll have to get into that.
 
I blow mine with a DataVac (link to review). Works great.
attachment.php
 
Hm ok. I think i can get my hands on a Swiffer and some compressed air.

I had a k/b skin on an old k/b a long time ago, and I didn't like it. Plus i don't think I would find one to fit mine. I have a M$/Razer reclusa and it's kind of oval shaped almost.
 
I use safety swabs (similar to q-tips) for HD cleaning and canned air for maintenance.
 
I have some q-tips. What if I lightly (really light, not dripping) soak some in some rubbing alcohol and go around the keys? That won't bust my k/b will it?
 
Oh man, I love that Datavac! Gotta find me one.

EDIT: Amazon has it for $45. 6-pack of Dust Off air cans runs about $31 - $39 on eBay. Easy choice. :)
 
Last edited:
Air in a can and Lysol disenfecting wipes. Although I do want to get one of those Datavacs and move away from buying air all the time.
 
Last edited:
I'd use a data-vac or an air compressor. Canned air would be okay if you don't have access to either. I'd only use a vacuum as a last resort since blasting out the dirt is far easier and more effective than trying to suck it out.

If the keys themselves are filthy, then I would also spray the entire keyboard with rubbing alcohol and wipe it down with paper towel. I'd only do this with membrane keyboards though and only AFTER I blow out the gunk between the keys. I've done this hundreds of times and different keyboards and never had a problem. So long as you don't pour the alcohol on or literally soak the keyboard then you should be fine.

If you want a very thorough cleaning (especially with just a vacuum), then you could pop off all the keys to clean the board. Then put the keys inside a sock, tie the end, and toss it into a washing machine the next time you do laundry. Let dry than put all the keys back on.
 
If possible I remove all the keys and wash them. If not, I use a small blower while dusting in between the keys with a paint brush. Second method works to get dust out of all sorts of things.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
Well I have a Model M so when the time comes I just remove each key and wash them in the sink
caps-m.jpg

If you have any other keyboard you could use a scrubbing brush with soapy water and clean the keys with the keyboard upside down. It will be a little awkward but at least the water wont go inside. Water is not really a big problem once you properly dry the keyboard.
 
For a quick clean underneath the keys, I usually pop off the spacebar and a couple of other keys and use compressed air and pretty much anything that will fit in between the keys to "swab" it down if necessary. It seems Doritos are my nemesis.
 
With my G15 rev 1 and my G13 I pop all the keys off and wash them. In between popping the keys off I use an old toothbrush and 409. I have started to cover my keyboard with an old towel when not in use to see if that will make a difference.
 
Back
Top