Cleaning Intellimouse Explorer

HalfLifer

2[H]4U
Have any of you guys cleaned out your intellimouse explorer, specifically the buttons?

I think mine needs to be cleaned. It wont hold when you click, like to drag, or its very sporatic. Very annoying.

Ive had it for a couple years now, maybe 3 or 4. Is it time for a new one, or can I clean this one? If I can, how do I?

Thanks

1. Open the mouse by removing the screws on the bottom
2. Remove *all* electronics, moving parts
3. Make some warm, soapy water
4. Place mouse in water
5. ...
6. Remove mouse
7. Rinse
8. Repeat if desired
9. Dry
10. Reassmble mouse
11. Profit

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
1. Open the mouse by removing the screws on the bottom
2. Remove *all* electronics, moving parts
3. Make some warm, soapy water
4. Place mouse in water
5. ...
6. Remove mouse
7. Rinse
8. Repeat if desired
9. Dry
10. Reassmble mouse
11. Profit

sounds good, is those inteli mouses optical? will it work for optical mouse?

Yes you can do that with an optical. Just make sure you remove all the guts before you dip it in soapy water. Also take note on how it is assembled when removing.

I have an even better solution. Find a customer support number for microsoft. Call them up. "My mouse buttons are sticking, my mouse no longer works properly"

They send you a new one.

The intellimouse line of mice have a lifetime warrantees. They ask you for the serial number off the bottom of the mouse, or off the box.

The best part is that they send you the latest version of that mouse, I had one of the earlier optical versions and they sent me the latest one which has a much higher refresh rate (or whatever they call it for the laser scanning the surface underneat it). Free shipping too!

It's that easy. If i had the phone number on hand, i'd give it to you, but i'm sure a quick search of the microsoft site on your mouse will yield you a number.

the intellimouse explorer is an optical mouse. At least, that's what mine is called. I didn't think there was a non optical version of it.

It its optical then why do you need to clean it?? ive never had to clean my optical mouse

You obviously missed the part where I did the buttons, because it doesnt click right. It feels fine, but it either over-clicks or doesnt drag at all, etc.

So I want this?

If you lose your adaptor plug or your software installation CD-ROM, you can order replacement parts from Microsoft.

U.S. Customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at: (800) 360-7561 (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)

Go ahead and try that number, it's a 1-800 number so it's free. The worst thing that can happen is that it's the wrong number, and they probably know the number you should call.

I was just looking around the MS support site now. I found this applies to the intellimouse explorer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifecycle

-Maybe- the old version of that mouse is out of the lifecycle and they won't replace them anymore? I'd still call a MS number and see if they'll send you another one. A phone call is a small price to pay... especially when it's free. Hope I didn't get your hopes up only to have them dashed. But they definetly replaced mine, and gave me a new version 1.5 years ago, and i've been using it ever since.

Back