Hey I want to clean off the artic silver on my cpu, do we really need isopropyl alcohol or other chemical compounds to clean? can't we just do a normal clean, just use q-tip to swipe it off?
well, you could, but you generally don't want to leave a residue.
Since the core size is so small, the a slight bit of dust can make a bit of difference, and since this is a hardware forum, we do what we can to get the best temps. Since I work in a lab right now (and I'm in chemical engineering when at school... on coop right now), I can get >95% isopropyl alcohol for free... yay
I just use 91% isopropyl alcohol. I don't use all that other crap Arctic Silver recommends in addition to it. None of my CPUs have burst into flames, so I think my method is good enough.
You can get a bottle of high-purity (>90%) isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) at any walgreens / walmart / kmart / target / supermarket / etc for a couple of dollars.
It cleans the AS off quite well, it leaves no residue, and it evaporates very quickly. -- Paul
I use 70% isopropyl alcohol.. the first time I clean it... I got some AS5 at the back of the CPU pins..... so I pore some 70% into a bowl and DUMP MY WHOLE 1.6A CPU into the bowl of Alcohol...
Got some Q Tip and clean it inside the bowl...
Then took it out... try for 30 mins and still working!!
I use light fuel, the stuff in the yellow can made by Swan (for zippos)...its what i have used for the past 5yrs and have never had a problem with it...
Ive alwayed used isopropyl alcohol and never had a problem. Just get it at your local drug/grocery store. Or you might find stronger stuff at a hobby shop.
I use acetone. It's available at the local Home Depot or Lowes. One touch and anything greasy is dissolved, including the oil on your fingers. And it dries really fast.